Im referring to physical weight of the shifter above the pivot point. That adds to the inertia which helps give momentum and dampening when slipping into gear.
This is something I might play with by pouring lead shot in to the shifter tube, which happens to be hollow. I can calculate approximately what ratio the weight needs to increase by looking at % change of the shifter ratio.
Might be a good excuse to go to pick a part and pick some gear knobs of different weights.
T5 shifter?
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: T5 shifter?
I'm fairly sure the shifter shaft on my VN was solid steel and fairly heavy at that. I retained the factory shifter shaft and knob so the only thing changed with my was the shifter pivot.
Another way to compensate would be to fit a slightly longer shifter shaft.
Another way to compensate would be to fit a slightly longer shifter shaft.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: T5 shifter?
They are hollow with rubber in the bottom half for dampening. They are not heavy at all. Lot of OEM these days deliberately weight the knobs, typically around 200-300g
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: T5 shifter?
I don't remember mine having rubber on it full stop. I think I might still have one lying in the garage, if I find it I'll confirm.vlad01 wrote:They are hollow with rubber in the bottom half for dampening. They are not heavy at all. Lot of OEM these days deliberately weight the knobs, typically around 200-300g
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: T5 shifter?
all mine are rubber filled. I had them sand blasted and you could see the rubber at the bottom of the tube.
-
HQ355
- Posts: 1217
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
- cars: HQ Holden
Re: T5 shifter?
I'd say all Holden floor shifters have the rubber in them, Aussie 4 speed onwards did and the original shifter on my t-56 did before I put the hurst on. I wonder if the rubber is to dampen or soften the hammering on the stops if you drive a bit on the spirited side
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: T5 shifter?
I made a stick and knob all out of stainless. Plenty of weight. No rubber filled either.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: T5 shifter?
For dampening, there is give when you push hard on them. Also I can hear the hissing sound of the teeth come from the stick and knob so that would dampen it some. The sound would be louder if its solid I reckon.HQ355 wrote:I'd say all Holden floor shifters have the rubber in them, Aussie 4 speed onwards did and the original shifter on my t-56 did before I put the hurst on. I wonder if the rubber is to dampen or soften the hammering on the stops if you drive a bit on the spirited side
-
VK_3800
- Posts: 578
- Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 am
- cars: SS Torana
- Location: NZ
Re: T5 shifter?
^ Dampening makes it wet, damping reduces vibration...
Some places make proper weighted knobs, often as part of the whole shifter package so they're nicely balanced. I made a knob out of an old tow ball for the TKO!
Some places make proper weighted knobs, often as part of the whole shifter package so they're nicely balanced. I made a knob out of an old tow ball for the TKO!
-
Chuff
- Posts: 269
- Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:28 am
- Location: Melbourne
Re: T5 shifter?
vlad01 wrote: For dampening, there is give when you push hard on them.
That's not to say Vlad is incorrect. It all depends in the subject matter.VK_3800 wrote: ^ Dampening makes it wet, damping reduces vibration...
˙ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ǝsǝuıɥɔ ɐ ƃuıʎnq ɹoɟ ʇɥƃıɹ ǝɯ sǝʌɹǝs