VE ran out of oil. What to expect next

For non EFI mechanical discussion
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

VE ran out of oil. What to expect next

Post by Charlescrown »

Had a customer call me saying they thought the transmission had a problem. When I drove it you could hear a distinct engine rattle at higher engine RPM. OMG. Checked the oil and had to add about 4 litres. Noise has gone but I am sure some of the Holden techs can tell me what to expect next.
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: VE ran out of oil. What to expect next

Post by Gareth »

Replacing of the engine :D
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: VE ran out of oil. What to expect next

Post by Gareth »

It will also have shagged timing chains, not to mention oil sludge blocking the pick up.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: VE ran out of oil. What to expect next

Post by Charlescrown »

I am well aware of the timing chain issue. I have seen quiet a few engines run well and truly out of oil and survive for many years after but don't know how Holden's pull up. It still would have had 2 litres left but obviously not enough to stop metal to metal noises. It's been serviced by Holden regularly with all the additives they like to sell like engine flush and injector cleaner on each service so I assume if that's been done the pickup should be clean but not sure just how much engine damage may have occurred.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: VE ran out of oil. What to expect next

Post by vlad01 »

sounds like either too long intervals or perhaps not thrashed when new so rings never bedded in. No engine that is designed well should burn oil, and certainly not to the point there is none left.
User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: VE ran out of oil. What to expect next

Post by Jayme »

the holden service interval was 15000 ks on the alloytecs if I rememebr correctly.... far far too long, which is is why they tend to clog up the pickup with gunk.
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: VE ran out of oil. What to expect next

Post by Gareth »

engineered redundancy...
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
FXST02
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:42 am
cars: VP V6 Auto sedan
Location: Perth WA

Re: VE ran out of oil. What to expect next

Post by FXST02 »

The owner never checks the oil and relies on servicing for his top ups? Some people don't deserve cars.
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: VE ran out of oil. What to expect next

Post by Charlescrown »

Agreed. I think I need to start educating them on basic owner maintenance after this episode. Still don't know what to expect long term. I have another customer who bought a Yarris and the pickup screen blocked. Drove it for a few days before bringing it to me. Cleaned the pickup and it did it again shortly afterwards. This time I got in and scraped all the crap I could see in the bottom end. Last episode was she ran out of oil but the pickup was clean as a whistle. Engine still runs great. They must be tough little engines but I don't know about these Holden engines.