BW turbo calulator.

For non EFI mechanical discussion
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

BW turbo calulator.

Post by vlad01 »

Someone through work told me to check this out for selecting and calculating optimal turbo parameters.

Here is the calc called matchbot.

www.turbos.bwauto.com//aftermarket/matchbot

I have a vague idea what most of the stuff means but Im a n00b when it comes down to tubo terminology and what does what.

here is my result based on data input from dynosim stock buick v6 engine and BW EFR 6758 turbo.
Just playing with combos for a possible entry level race engine someone want me to build for their their first drift car. Well thats the engine I recommend anyway if I'm going to be doing anything on the proposed car.

Yes the link is huge.

http://www.turbos.bwauto.com//aftermark ... rsin=92044&
User avatar
krusty
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:45 am
cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: BW turbo calulator.

Post by krusty »

S300-## Tried and tested formula on the dyno and quarter mile plus sounds great :D
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: BW turbo calulator.

Post by vlad01 »

from my understanding the EFR range is far superior, much faster spool and response and better map.

For a beginners drift car I would imagine fast response without over the top power would be ideal to learn in, so as would a smaller turbo of that range on a stock engine should be way more than enough, especially for a girl who's not driver a car in that matter, as far as I know anyway.
User avatar
krusty
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:45 am
cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: BW turbo calulator.

Post by krusty »

I noticed that intercooler efficiency in the Match bot calcs is at 99%. No intercooler can acieve that unless possibly and industrial interchiller for something like building air conditioning..........................but even then, maybe it will get 88% possibly on a good day lol

This turbo on a V6 will heavily restrict exhaust flow and is an exceptionslly large comp wheel for such little power. you would find that response and spool would be exceptionally late for such a little power/ torque delivery reward.

Real world and cals usually don't match up.

Try the calc for a 3.6L SIDI ENGINE with it's acceptabel stock rpm band and the results will start to show that this calulator needs a pinch of salt.

Learing to read a comp map is a lot simpler than this calc program so that should yield better results. I'd run nothing smaller than an S256 but usually S300 range is full of win

Garret GTW have some good offerings, turbonetics hurricane range, as well as S200sx-e, S300sx-e
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: BW turbo calulator.

Post by vlad01 »

Efficiency number is just that. Ranges from 0-150% normally. I know what you mean that real life you'll never get that but all calculators are based on a scale typically on 0-150% representing 0% no IC, 60-80% a2a and 100% w2a and up to 150% for ice tank and anything in between. I just set it 99 for simplicity sakes. Didn't do much for final output anyway.
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: BW turbo calulator.

Post by Charlescrown »

You need to make the rotary boys aware of this so their huge I mean HUGE puffers are way to big unless you have full load at 6000rpm for takeoff.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: BW turbo calulator.

Post by vlad01 »

but 6000 means really 2000 rotor rpm so not that bad when you put it that way. The output shaft is is 3:1 to the rotor.

makes rotary guys angry when you point out this fact lol.
User avatar
krusty
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:45 am
cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: BW turbo calulator.

Post by krusty »

vlad01 wrote:Efficiency number is just that. Ranges from 0-150% normally. I know what you mean that real life you'll never get that but all calculators are based on a scale typically on 0-150% representing 0% no IC, 60-80% a2a and 100% w2a and up to 150% for ice tank and anything in between. I just set it 99 for simplicity sakes. Didn't do much for final output anyway.
Intercooler efficiency is everything when choosing a turbo haha. If it didn't effect the final turbo choice from the match bot, why even acknowledge it's relevance in the first place?

Like I said, the match bot is interesting but choosing a turbo for a V6 can moreso be based on what's been used in the real world these days as it's far from new territory. reading compressor maps and matching that to your set up is more beneficial i find
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: BW turbo calulator.

Post by delcowizzid »

real world VE and a compressor map is all you need
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem