The battery in the original key head from my VX Commodore is pretty much dead and needing to be replaced. Supercheap sell new keyheads for $64.99 but then require you to also purchase a programming tool to program it for an additional $64.99.
Are there any software options/hacks available which I can run from my PC to program the keyhead without having to purchase the additional programming tool?
Chuff wrote:The battery in the original key head from my VX Commodore is pretty much dead and needing to be replaced. Supercheap sell new keyheads for $64.99 but then require you to also purchase a programming tool to program it for an additional $64.99.
Are there any software options/hacks available which I can run from my PC to program the keyhead without having to purchase the additional programming tool?
Thanks.
Chuff
Well, local place near me does key cut and programmed for $99.
But, if you get to keep the programmer to use for mates cars or another key of your own.. then $120 for new key plus programmers pretty good!.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
What irks me is that I have to fork out $65 for a 3 use programmer when I only need to use it once. Happy to pay $25 for a single use, but do they offer that?
Hey Biggvl. Interesting point. You mention Genuine Holden. So I'm guessing non-genuine key heads exist just like a lot of other products, yes?
Also, can you cut the key as well? If possible, I'd like to keep the current key as a spare.
Hey chuff just change the battery, go to super cheap and buy new key shell (you'll destroy old one pulling it apart) and change the battery. I think it cost $3.80 delivered for a new one from rs online. I can try and find part number for u if u want, easy to do as replacement is identical to original with tabs already on the battery so u just solder it on, I've done a few now and it works well
The one you mention from that parts place is aftermarket (silica brand) not saying they are bad quality but... You get what you pay for. I dont cut blades but the local locksmith does for about $25
I get to choose what i sell and i base those choices off of experience, for the cost of a reliable genuine key head compared with either the tow truck or emergency lock smith call out when it goes wrong, i know what my money would go on, but, each to their own.
I hear ya big g it just sounded like he didn't want spend that much, as you said you get what you pay for, I have no doubt the genuine shell is way better but everything else is still genuine ! It would be nice if Holden sold there parts for reasonable prices, how much do you reckon it costs them to make them in the quantities they buying them for !
I second the go genuine key head after market ones die at real random times and for no real reason. the Hannertec scan tool at work programs them and so does the new Gscan and I have used a Carmen also to program keys to commodores. most auto electricians have 1 or more of these scan tools but the $90 Bigvl has quoted sounds like a good deal.