But 068 is the best ratio spread, stock isn't close ratio by any means as a total package. its close low speed and then close high speed Its like having 2 separate close ratio boxes split by a big gap.
If you look at the graph the combo was chosen for the wide band of the engine. if I were to use a close ratio which doesn't exist for these boxes in 23T input then the car would literally be like a truck, having to change gears every sec and then running out of top speed.
The only other set I can get that fits is the US 052 which is the following.
3.35
1.93
1.29
1
Thats going drive like an auto, screaming in 1st and then bogging in 2nd.
Thats the beauty of the 068 its ratio spread is a nice curve not jagged jumps so I can always utilize the power band of the engine no matter what gear.
Vlad's rides thread
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Vlad's rides thread
Going by the charts on the previous page I see maybe a 150 rpm difference between the 2 sets for 2-3rd. That's neither here or there really.
Have you considered the V8 gear set with 2.95 1st gear?
Have you considered the V8 gear set with 2.95 1st gear?
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vlad's rides thread
Trust me I noticed that gap 2-3 long before I ever looked at the ratio numbers.immortality wrote:Going by the charts on the previous page I see maybe a 150 rpm difference between the 2 sets for 2-3rd. That's neither here or there really.
Have you considered the V8 gear set with 2.95 1st gear?
Can't use the v8 set, they are available as Z spec which are a bit stronger but the input shafts are miles too short and they use 24T so it wont fit the v6 input.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vlad's rides thread
Ok, thegearbox.org is sorting me out on genuine gear set for 068 which is surprising as I have searched high and low for the last few days and seems like OEM is non existent on the net.
So great that its available. Going to set me back a fair bit but at least I will be the only one with a brand new T5 V6 in oz lol.
The prices aren't that bad except the cluster is a killer. 420 USD but what ever, its genuine new not aftermarket Asian origin.
So great that its available. Going to set me back a fair bit but at least I will be the only one with a brand new T5 V6 in oz lol.
The prices aren't that bad except the cluster is a killer. 420 USD but what ever, its genuine new not aftermarket Asian origin.
-
Chuff
- Posts: 269
- Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:28 am
- Location: Melbourne
Re: Vlad's rides thread
I have a Castlemaine Rod Shop 5 speed Celica steelcase gearbox conversion for my Escort which consists, in part, of a grafted input shaft where the Escort spline is welded to the Celica input shaft. I'm not sure what welding process is used to join the 2 halves, but from what I heard back in the day, a company in Queensland did the welding for them.vlad01 wrote:Can't use the v8 set, they are available as Z spec which are a bit stronger but the input shafts are miles too short and they use 24T so it wont fit the v6 input.
If the V8 ratios are better suited to your engine, why not make an input shaft to suit. Could work out being stronger/cheaper/better ratios than buying the gearsets you have in mind.
Chuff
EDIT: Pretty sure this is the mob as well as the process that Castlemaine Rod Shop uses to do their welding, or at least did when Rod Hadfield owned it.
http://www.frictionweldingaustralia.co/benefits/
˙ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ǝsǝuıɥɔ ɐ ƃuıʎnq ɹoɟ ʇɥƃıɹ ǝɯ sǝʌɹǝs
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vlad's rides thread
All good, I got genuine 068 set and they are rated the same torque as the standard 2.95 v8 boxes.
the v8 ratio down low are closer but thats not what I want, I want broader to get the best overall acceleration as my engine operates much broader than even stock v6 which were pretty broad to begin with.
The v8 ratios were created for the production v8 which have big low end and narrow power band so they need the closer ratios, like a truck does.
Also to convert to v8 gear set will cost a lot more as I will have to also change the complete 5th set to get the correct ratio, the gear sets are more expensive, and the input shaft, have to buy one and then get it modified.
would be close to about 4K once its all done if I took that path, by that much money I'd got the PPG straight cut gear set and be done with it. 450+hp rated and can go more if I get a stronger main shaft.
the v8 ratio down low are closer but thats not what I want, I want broader to get the best overall acceleration as my engine operates much broader than even stock v6 which were pretty broad to begin with.
The v8 ratios were created for the production v8 which have big low end and narrow power band so they need the closer ratios, like a truck does.
Also to convert to v8 gear set will cost a lot more as I will have to also change the complete 5th set to get the correct ratio, the gear sets are more expensive, and the input shaft, have to buy one and then get it modified.
would be close to about 4K once its all done if I took that path, by that much money I'd got the PPG straight cut gear set and be done with it. 450+hp rated and can go more if I get a stronger main shaft.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vlad's rides thread
I knocked out one of the extension housing bushes, no surprise to find the Ford logo stamped on it.
That confirms these really are just a variant of T5 used in mustang and local Ford cars.
So getting a replacement should be pretty straight forward. Might try CBC first if not, Ford, if not ebay US have bush and seal kits readily available.
That confirms these really are just a variant of T5 used in mustang and local Ford cars.
So getting a replacement should be pretty straight forward. Might try CBC first if not, Ford, if not ebay US have bush and seal kits readily available.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vlad's rides thread
Scored these panels pretty cheap.
Perfect to get that dented one driver side fixed. Nothing beats NOS
Some more parts arrived for the box.
Some tax time shopping. Bought this cabinet to finally have somewhere to place my tools. Have been just putting them either in a cardboard box on the floor or on random spots on the shelving.
Also everything in this draw is new.
And now to put that puller to use. Its a big one!
now I can prep the case Vlad spec.
Not bad for 600K driven like it was stolen.
The reverse damage, previous owner somehow managed to fuck all of the teeth. I certainly never tried to crunch it into R when it was still moving or gears were spinning. I always thought the T5 was a pig for getting into R but this explains everything.
Perfect to get that dented one driver side fixed. Nothing beats NOS
Some more parts arrived for the box.
Some tax time shopping. Bought this cabinet to finally have somewhere to place my tools. Have been just putting them either in a cardboard box on the floor or on random spots on the shelving.
Also everything in this draw is new.
And now to put that puller to use. Its a big one!
Not bad for 600K driven like it was stolen.
The reverse damage, previous owner somehow managed to fuck all of the teeth. I certainly never tried to crunch it into R when it was still moving or gears were spinning. I always thought the T5 was a pig for getting into R but this explains everything.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
psyolent
- Posts: 1597
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
- cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes
Re: Vlad's rides thread
if you can't find it - grind it.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vlad's rides thread
I already have a new set on its way so this one will just be a trophy.