So, starting a thread here for my old Amiga shit.
I have the following in my collection
5 - A500 - 3 in original cases and 1 open system board, and 1 in a tower given to me
3 - A2000 - 3 in original cases, 2 given to me 1 bought.
3 - A1200 - 1 in an original case and one I converted to a tower, and then another that was given to me
1 - A600 - still in original case
1 - A1000 - still in original case - need to source keyboard
So as of 22/08 - that makes 13 in total
I also have numerous add ons, hard cards, A590s, A570 CD Roms, 1541 drives joysticks, millions of disks, the list is *almost* endless.
I only have to collect a A2500, A3000 and A4000.
I'll put some pics up soon.
Gregs Amiga Shit
-
psyolent
- Posts: 1597
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
- cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes
Gregs Amiga Shit
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
-
psyolent
- Posts: 1597
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
- cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes
Re: Gregs Amiga Shit
so fixy fixy shitty battery with coin cell and schottkey

any thoughts as to how to best clean the 'legs' on the different chips in this beast. they have been better days. looks like i will be re-socketing the a2000 68k socket, as, its not the best.
i did grab a desoldering pump/iron. i like that thing. alot. i can see alot of desoldering in the future in this household.

any thoughts as to how to best clean the 'legs' on the different chips in this beast. they have been better days. looks like i will be re-socketing the a2000 68k socket, as, its not the best.
i did grab a desoldering pump/iron. i like that thing. alot. i can see alot of desoldering in the future in this household.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Gregs Amiga Shit
pull all the chips out in sockets, wash the board in water with a small amount of phosphoric acid which can be bought from autobarn as "blitz aluminum cleaner"
I reckon 25% of that to water and a stiff brush, repeat cleaning as needed but should only require one shot looking at that board. The phosphoric acid will dissolve the copper carbonate (the green stuff) and other oxides leaving nice clean contractors.
wash for a long time in hot running water and I would even rinse with a bi-carb solution to neutralized any left over acid., rinse rinse rise and then blow dry with an air gun. leave the board in a warm drafty place to fully dry.
Do the same with the chips removed if they are corroded too.
I would test this procedure out of some old unwanted board until you get that hang of it and how much acid exposure it can take without damaging the tracts, I would imagine hours to be honest looking at those masks.
I would highly recommend only doing this to the connectors needed not the whole board as you could get acid trapped in the electrolytic cap lead seals and plastic skin, unless you want to replace the caps after anyway? might not be a bad idea actually as most would be under performing at this age or stuffed altogether.
Anyway I would test this and see how each component reacts (pun not intended).
I have saved heaps of corroded connections and components like this but not tried a whole board of this scale.
Have washed tons of PC mother boards and high end graphics cards in plain water to clean all the trapped dust, never had a problem
I reckon 25% of that to water and a stiff brush, repeat cleaning as needed but should only require one shot looking at that board. The phosphoric acid will dissolve the copper carbonate (the green stuff) and other oxides leaving nice clean contractors.
wash for a long time in hot running water and I would even rinse with a bi-carb solution to neutralized any left over acid., rinse rinse rise and then blow dry with an air gun. leave the board in a warm drafty place to fully dry.
Do the same with the chips removed if they are corroded too.
I would test this procedure out of some old unwanted board until you get that hang of it and how much acid exposure it can take without damaging the tracts, I would imagine hours to be honest looking at those masks.
I would highly recommend only doing this to the connectors needed not the whole board as you could get acid trapped in the electrolytic cap lead seals and plastic skin, unless you want to replace the caps after anyway? might not be a bad idea actually as most would be under performing at this age or stuffed altogether.
Anyway I would test this and see how each component reacts (pun not intended).
I have saved heaps of corroded connections and components like this but not tried a whole board of this scale.
Have washed tons of PC mother boards and high end graphics cards in plain water to clean all the trapped dust, never had a problem
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10016
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: Gregs Amiga Shit
If your not game to try vlads idea try jaycar (or other) pcb cleaner and a toothbrush. http://www.jaycar.com.au/electronic-cir ... n/p/NA1008
Ive used similar with good results but not on that green stuff. I reckon it'd soften it up for the toothbrush though.
Ive used similar with good results but not on that green stuff. I reckon it'd soften it up for the toothbrush though.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Gregs Amiga Shit
yeah it doesn't work on corrosion really as its a solvent, where corrosion is a mineral deposit and needs acid or base depending on chemical composition of the mineral.
ultrasonic bath otherwise? lol. that would work but who has one of those?
ultrasonic bath otherwise? lol. that would work but who has one of those?
-
psyolent
- Posts: 1597
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
- cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes
Re: Gregs Amiga Shit
ah ; i actually used lemon juice around the battery leakage area which, i then used water to clean off. further, i've toothbrushed the entire board with isopropyl so its not too bad now.
the legs on the chips are my bother now. i read you can wet/dry to clean them up ; just wondering if a little wire wheel on trusty dremel on low low speed might be worth a look in. pinning out the board i get random continuity between different components due to the crud still on the chip legs, so, keen to improve that.
the legs on the chips are my bother now. i read you can wet/dry to clean them up ; just wondering if a little wire wheel on trusty dremel on low low speed might be worth a look in. pinning out the board i get random continuity between different components due to the crud still on the chip legs, so, keen to improve that.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
-
slewinson
- Posts: 224
- Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:08 am
- cars: Barina SB C14SE
Lexus RX350
VW Golf Mk5 TDI DSG
Re: Gregs Amiga Shit
After washing with the acid to remove the deposits, I flush with a few drops of dishwashing liquid in warm water to remove the last traces of grime. Next, flush in methylated spirits to scavenge the water and minimize the possibility of conductive deposits. Air dry and go for it.
When combined with ultrasonic cleaning I have salvaged an iPhone that was drowned and stopped working even after normal cleaning. The detergent and scavenging steps are what I see as the key to a good result.
Simon
When combined with ultrasonic cleaning I have salvaged an iPhone that was drowned and stopped working even after normal cleaning. The detergent and scavenging steps are what I see as the key to a good result.
Simon
-
psyolent
- Posts: 1597
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
- cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes
Re: Gregs Amiga Shit
would be amazing to ultrasonic it, but, the board on an amiga 2000, is huge.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
-
slewinson
- Posts: 224
- Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:08 am
- cars: Barina SB C14SE
Lexus RX350
VW Golf Mk5 TDI DSG
Re: Gregs Amiga Shit
Could probably adapt a cheap ultrasonic cleaner to a larger bath. Would just need a longer time at a lower power level.psyolent wrote:would be amazing to ultrasonic it, but, the board on an amiga 2000, is huge.
Simon
-
psyolent
- Posts: 1597
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
- cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes
Re: Gregs Amiga Shit
yeah the CCT for the thing is actually fairly rudimentary, plenty of people have made their own. an old stainless laundry sink would be the go here. hmmmm. i have one of those too.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.