Gregs Fleet

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
User avatar
psyolent
Posts: 1597
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes

Re: GregsVN

Post by psyolent »

i do as i've them set that way with the stick on blind spot mirrors now vlad.
i do like the newer cars with the red illumination in the mirror when there is a car adjunct to the sensors in the rear bar. now thats pretty cool.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: GregsVN

Post by vlad01 »

I have my mirrors set where the only blind spots are actually inside my lane in the middle of my back doors, So for a car to be in them they would by at least 2/3rds inside my cabin, so basically dead already lol.


see pic below.

top row is correct, bottom is incorrect.
ironically the incorrect way is how al driving instructors teach as the correct way.

In the nissan company car, the mirrors can't even adjust far enough to be set correctly. So even manufactures these days got it wrong.

Image


The idea is that there is no overlap and a perfect butting of the image seen in each mirror. so as any car passes you you see them in the rear first and then pass across and split on both rear and side mirror, then all in the side mirror and once nearly out of the side mirror is visible in your field of view when looking forward. So basically 360 surround vision without needing to look anywhere but forward and the 3 mirrors.

Always do a head check in case there is a bike in your lane in the blind spot though.
User avatar
psyolent
Posts: 1597
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes

Re: GregsVN

Post by psyolent »

thats interesting vlad.
yep, when i went for my license back when dinosaurs ruled the earth, i was taught to set them as per the bottom way.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: GregsVN

Post by immortality »

The problem I have is that when you set the mirrors correctly you end up getting blinded by the headlights of car beside/behind you in the next lane when on the motorway. The sun glasses I use also don't allow any lateral vision so I just turn my head a look over my shoulder. You can't truly eliminate all blind spots with mirrors anyway so relying on mirrors alone is a dangerous practice.

You can walk around any shopping carpark and tell which cars have drivers that only use there mirrors.......
User avatar
psyolent
Posts: 1597
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes

Re: GregsVN

Post by psyolent »

very true immo. all the 'wheel' type damage. i love the ones who have kissed trucks and survived to tell the tale.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: GregsVN

Post by vlad01 »

immortality wrote:The problem I have is that when you set the mirrors correctly you end up getting blinded by the headlights of car beside/behind you in the next lane when on the motorway. The sun glasses I use also don't allow any lateral vision so I just turn my head a look over my shoulder. You can't truly eliminate all blind spots with mirrors anyway so relying on mirrors alone is a dangerous practice.

You can walk around any shopping carpark and tell which cars have drivers that only use there mirrors.......
I can't say I have ever had the problem with head lights.

I never said not ever doing head checks, just having them set up like that eliminates nearly all of the critically dangerous blind spots. Problem I have in the nissan is I have to lean out and over my seat to do a head check just to change lanes completely leaving me blind for whats up front and the opposite side.

When reversing I virtually never use mirrors anyway. I always put my arm around the backrest and look back, like driving a forklift. piss easy! The other issue is having mirrors set like I do makes parking by mirrors much harder as you can't see your own car in any of them to reference from.
User avatar
psyolent
Posts: 1597
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes

Re: GregsVN

Post by psyolent »

When reversing I virtually never use mirrors anyway. I always put my arm around the backrest and look back, like driving a forklift. piss easy! The other issue is having mirrors set like I do makes parking by mirrors much harder as you can't see your own car in any of them to reference from.
which is probably why they teach folks to set them the other way.
ironically i do park using my mirrors. but i can't judge the backside of my car too well - i got lazy and used to the parking sensors on my Kia. Now i go back a bit, get out and move the car manually if i have to :)
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: GregsVN

Post by vlad01 »

psyolent wrote:
When reversing I virtually never use mirrors anyway. I always put my arm around the backrest and look back, like driving a forklift. piss easy! The other issue is having mirrors set like I do makes parking by mirrors much harder as you can't see your own car in any of them to reference from.
which is probably why they teach folks to set them the other way.
ironically i do park using my mirrors. but i can't judge the backside of my car too well - i got lazy and used to the parking sensors on my Kia. Now i go back a bit, get out and move the car manually if i have to :)
lol I find it super easy to park commodores as I got used to not being able to see anything out the windows of the company car, its back window is as small as a 60s beetle rear window and pillars as wide as the commy rear door skins.

Only thing that got me off guard is I am parking the commys too close at the front now as the new cars have no front end and from my point of view in both cars the commy ends up being over 0.5m closer lol.

parking sensors? never heard of him?
User avatar
psyolent
Posts: 1597
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes

Re: GregsVN

Post by psyolent »

lol.
parking sensors are very handy
in other news got the BS mirror of the housing. bit of playing around, nothing spesh. will get her into the VX this weekend.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
User avatar
psyolent
Posts: 1597
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes

Re: GregsVN

Post by psyolent »

yay. we're in business
Image
all good.
alot different to drive with. very effective.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.