Custom ATS Placement

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Custom ATS Placement

Post by vlad01 »

antus wrote:Actually air temp makes negligible effect on air density for purposes of fuel tuning. Air quantity is relevant but the MAF does handle that and output the correct data. Air temp is needed for spark timing as hot air will detonate sooner. I did think that density made a difference too, but then I did an efi-live tuning course and they set me straight on that.

I just had a thought? Does MAFs contain a temp sensor built in for the purpose of correction of the output of the MAF itself?
kojab
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:52 am
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla
Location: Sydney

Re: Custom ATS Placement

Post by kojab »

Yes some do. LS1 VZ 5.7 has temp sensor built in.
yoda69
Posts: 1226
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:20 am
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual
Location: Geelong, VIC

Re: Custom ATS Placement

Post by yoda69 »

As a general overview of mass sensors wiki to the rescue:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_flow_sensor
There have been many types, from the old spring loaded trapdoor to the modern card type.
User avatar
charlay86
Posts: 586
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:00 am
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Custom ATS Placement

Post by charlay86 »

vlad01 wrote:
antus wrote:Actually air temp makes negligible effect on air density for purposes of fuel tuning. Air quantity is relevant but the MAF does handle that and output the correct data. Air temp is needed for spark timing as hot air will detonate sooner. I did think that density made a difference too, but then I did an efi-live tuning course and they set me straight on that.

I just had a thought? Does MAFs contain a temp sensor built in for the purpose of correction of the output of the MAF itself?
Yeah they do, that was what i was getting at to begin with...
20160910_230105.jpg
20160910_230058.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MAGP
Posts: 665
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 7:48 am
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Re: Custom ATS Placement

Post by MAGP »

vlad01 wrote:
MAGP wrote:
vlad01 wrote:not according to my understanding of physics, air density changes a significant amount.
Take air speed into consideration, that is why I "agree" with Antus' previous post. Yes air density changes but air speed is high enough to not let it change alot thus the effect on fueling may not be as much as you and I would think.
Can you show the equations and your workings?
I never claimed to have an equation or workings. What I am saying is the air is not subject to heat for long enough for it to change drastically. Consider how fast the air is flowing into the engine and how much time it would take for a change in temp and the corresponding change in density to occur. Density changes because of expansion (heat causes expansion) but the 2 things do not occur simultaneously so the air could heat up but not enough to change density. Remember between the throttle body and the inlet valve the tract is virtually a closed system.
MAGP
Posts: 665
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 7:48 am
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Re: Custom ATS Placement

Post by MAGP »

charlay86 wrote:
vlad01 wrote:I just had a thought? Does MAFs contain a temp sensor built in for the purpose of correction of the output of the MAF itself?
Yeah they do, that was what i was getting at to begin with...
20160910_230105.jpg
20160910_230058.jpg
In this instance it is only used to calculate how much air is flowing into the engine. In later MAFs the air temp sensors also do the exact same thing as the IAT and MAT do.
It is all about tooling and cost.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Custom ATS Placement

Post by vlad01 »

charlay86 wrote:
vlad01 wrote:
antus wrote:Actually air temp makes negligible effect on air density for purposes of fuel tuning. Air quantity is relevant but the MAF does handle that and output the correct data. Air temp is needed for spark timing as hot air will detonate sooner. I did think that density made a difference too, but then I did an efi-live tuning course and they set me straight on that.

I just had a thought? Does MAFs contain a temp sensor built in for the purpose of correction of the output of the MAF itself?
Yeah they do, that was what i was getting at to begin with...
20160910_230105.jpg
20160910_230058.jpg
Ah yeah, that answers that then.
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Custom ATS Placement

Post by Dylan »

Was good to get some different opinions on it all. Reminds me of something I've thought of doing. I plan on getting set up to tune LS1's in the near future and have thought about re locating the IAT sensor into the intake as per a proper MAP based system. When going MAFless obviously. Not sure how flexible the software is in that area on those PCM's.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Custom ATS Placement

Post by immortality »

Fairly much the same reason we put a MAT sensor in the LIM for the L67......
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Custom ATS Placement

Post by Dylan »

immortality wrote:Fairly much the same reason we put a MAT sensor in the LIM for the L67......
Just to confirm that's in place of the IAT sensor in the intake pipe?