Hello all,
help help, I think I have outsmarted myself bigtime with this project!. I purchased a partially parted 2001 VU SS ute rolling shell, with a partially butchered wiring loom, for reasons that escape me right now.
I then purchased a cheap 2001 VX SS sedan, which was Stat W/O in qld after a minor prang. I intended to use all parts from the sedan including ignition & steering column, PIM,ECU, BCM and abs, C/control etc.
both cars were 5.7 gen III, ute was a manual, sedan is an auto.
I will use the engine, trans n diff from sedan to the ute.
So here's a couple of snags I have hit. ABS module if different from sedan to ute, I guess cos of the proportioning valve set up on ute rear? If i use BCM from sedan then it will confuse BCM/ABS module??, should i swap sensor components between modules?
Also worried if I use ute BCM will it talk to other pim,ecu etc, or can they be linked to talk to each other?
I understand the ECU will not be a problem cos I'm using the eng, trans ,diff from sedan to ute, but I am concerned the above is gunna stop me dead.
Let me know what y'all think
regards
Tigerboy
Miracle needed amybe
-
Tigerboy
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:41 am
- cars: VU SS Ute, VX SS Sedan and VS 5.0lt ute
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Miracle needed amybe
I'm sure Tazzi will point you in the right direction when he sees this thread 
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Miracle needed amybe
if the body loom side of the ute it all intact that should be the best to use to keep it all in sync, then just fit the motor and gearbox with its loom and pcm .....
if theres more screwed than just the engine loom that might make things harder.
if theres more screwed than just the engine loom that might make things harder.
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
hsv08
- Posts: 564
- Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 8:50 am
- cars: Just an ordinary VY Maloo.. 😜
Re: Miracle needed amybe
As far as im aware so long as BCM are the same ie "MID" or "LOW" then it doesn't matter what body its in. VT VX BCM's are the same as long as LOW and MID interchange between eachother, HIGH and LUX between themselves BUT NOT a LOW or MID in a vehicle That had a HIGH or LUX or vice versa as you will Fry the BCM.Tigerboy wrote: ABS module if different from sedan to ute, I guess cos of the proportioning valve set up on ute rear? If i use BCM from sedan then it will confuse BCM/ABS module??, should i swap sensor components between modules?
Also worried if I use ute BCM will it talk to other pim,ecu etc, or can they be linked to talk to each other?
I understand the ECU will not be a problem cos I'm using the eng, trans ,diff from sedan to ute, but I am concerned the above is gunna stop me dead.
Let me know what y'all think
regards
Tigerboy
If you use any module that is not from the same vehicle it will need to be relinked. BCM needs linking to PIM and PIM to PCM, Without the link it will not start.
As above you can swap modules but there is no point in swapping as the BCM doesn't care if its a sedan, wagon, ute.
BUT the PIM may need its body reprogrammed to a Ute (the option is in the PIM but not sure why it would need to know)
Both ABS modules should be the same unless one has traction control and the other doesn't
There is a part number ontop of the module you can use to see if it matches.
As above to keep things simple retain all modules together, im pretty sure that that the PIM shouldn't need to be reprogrammed to suit body type but TAZZI will know.
-
Tigerboy
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:41 am
- cars: VU SS Ute, VX SS Sedan and VS 5.0lt ute
Re: Miracle needed amybe
Thanks HSV08, 202T,
I'm pretty sure the ute didn't have trac control so that would be why the abs is different, but if i put the diff out of the sedan in the ute (isn't trac control sensors attached to the diff), cos the actual rear end is the same I'm presuming, then I would have to use the brake lines off the sedan onto the ute, then use the sedan abs, hook up the trac control on the console, and should be ok?
So that means I will have used the full wiring harness from the sedan- minus the rear door lights etc, the bcm,pim,ecu, abs, CControl, steering column and ignition lock from the sedan, have I missed anything? this is confusing!
I'm pretty sure the ute didn't have trac control so that would be why the abs is different, but if i put the diff out of the sedan in the ute (isn't trac control sensors attached to the diff), cos the actual rear end is the same I'm presuming, then I would have to use the brake lines off the sedan onto the ute, then use the sedan abs, hook up the trac control on the console, and should be ok?
So that means I will have used the full wiring harness from the sedan- minus the rear door lights etc, the bcm,pim,ecu, abs, CControl, steering column and ignition lock from the sedan, have I missed anything? this is confusing!
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Miracle needed amybe
I believe the ute's have the older brake setup because of the proportioning valve fitted at the rear.
Doesn't Tazzi's software have the ability to link the various modules to sort this problem?
Doesn't Tazzi's software have the ability to link the various modules to sort this problem?
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: Miracle needed amybe
Does the traction control work the ABS? or does it back off the power?
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Miracle needed amybe
Traction control uses the signal from the wheel sensors via the ABS module (as I understand it) so it's really in integrated system rather than standalone.
I believe the older system is 3 channel and the newer system with traction control is 4 channel.
I believe the older system is 3 channel and the newer system with traction control is 4 channel.
-
Tazzi
- Posts: 3626
- Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
- cars: VE SS Ute
- Location: WA
Re: Miracle needed amybe
Woah!Tigerboy wrote:Hello all,
help help, I think I have outsmarted myself bigtime with this project!. I purchased a partially parted 2001 VU SS ute rolling shell, with a partially butchered wiring loom, for reasons that escape me right now.
I then purchased a cheap 2001 VX SS sedan, which was Stat W/O in qld after a minor prang. I intended to use all parts from the sedan including ignition & steering column, PIM,ECU, BCM and abs, C/control etc.
both cars were 5.7 gen III, ute was a manual, sedan is an auto.
I will use the engine, trans n diff from sedan to the ute.
So here's a couple of snags I have hit. ABS module if different from sedan to ute, I guess cos of the proportioning valve set up on ute rear? If i use BCM from sedan then it will confuse BCM/ABS module??, should i swap sensor components between modules?
Also worried if I use ute BCM will it talk to other pim,ecu etc, or can they be linked to talk to each other?
I understand the ECU will not be a problem cos I'm using the eng, trans ,diff from sedan to ute, but I am concerned the above is gunna stop me dead.
Let me know what y'all think
regards
Tigerboy
Right so.. whats actually left in the VU SS? any modules? Or its all stripped? Whats actually missing from the ute in terms or electronic parts?
If harness has been butchered, buy another ute one from a wrecker.. will save you alot of time and pain trying to fix that.
Alot of wreckers just toss the harnesses, so should be able to get it quite cheap.
What is it exactly your looking to take from the sedan?
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: Miracle needed amybe
Ah I see the earlier had 3 channel. I thought they all had 4 channel from VT on.