VN Commodore ECU update
-
mag
- Posts: 327
- Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:21 pm
- cars: VN Commodore
- Location: Blue Mountains NSW
Re: VN Commodore ECU update
Hi all, back with a new prom burner, too difficult to modify my home built PIC programmer. Intend to start with the sv3800 bin to practice my burn process and get a little more performance from stock s1 engine + extractors & cai, then work slowly towards one for the sc14. Have also located a 2.5 bar map sensor at a very reasonable price $25 that I believe should be suitable. Would expect that scaling of coefficients for 2.5 bar unit to be no problem just the upper range of map not reached with low level boost from sc14. As matter of interest the 2.5 bar map is readily available from local supplier just needs a little work to add wires and connector, for $25 worth a try.
-
delcowizzid
- Posts: 5709
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
- Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
- Location: Wellington NZ
Re: VN Commodore ECU update
the hardest thing is scaling the tune to suit 2.5bar sensor the 2 bar is big enough you will never max out a 2 bar with an sc14.the way the 2bar tune works now is bad enough with not enough cells to tune very nicely you loose 20 and 30 kpa areas allready the 2.5 will make it even worse.have a look at the 2bar$5D xdf and you will see what i mean about the lack of cells to tune with.the bins can be rewritten to do it but thats a bit out of my league even.there are other tuning software developers who have changed gm bins to suit 2 and 3 bar sensors but i dont think anyone does any bins for 2.5 bar.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10016
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: VN Commodore ECU update
2 and 3 bar bins are more about the size of the table(s) in the bin, so a proper 2 bar bin will have twice the cells as a hacked up 1 bar bin. Since this is the case a real 2 or 3 bar bin would be usable with a 2.5 bar sensor, and still improve the resolution. We hope to make one some time in the future but I cant say when that'll be. Until then a tweaked 2 bar mapping in a $5d is probably the best free option.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
mag
- Posts: 327
- Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:21 pm
- cars: VN Commodore
- Location: Blue Mountains NSW
Re: VN Commodore ECU update
delcowizzid i see what you mean about not enough cells in the 2bar$5D xdf, using 2bar $5d 5.0 capa sc bin, have i got the the setup correct, did notice that 2bar$5D xdf has more VE map cells than standard $5d,is this the sort of tweek that antus was referring to to better match 2 bar map. I imagined that map output above 1.5 or 2 bar could be ignored in the mapping, just as long as the map does not max out before max boost is reached. Would still be less resolution but btter than topped out map.
antus i would be interested in a free tweaked 2 bar mapping in a $5d, any suggestion as to where to look. Also have been looking at $59 xdf that appears to have much support including development for 808 ecu with mods.
Would this be a better option, should I consider replacing 808. Will hold off on sv3800 tune until i have second ecu and modified with socket to accept eeprom and ultimately real time tune.
Still coming to grip with the basics so if I have got it all wrong or appear confused please beer with me, pun intended.
antus i would be interested in a free tweaked 2 bar mapping in a $5d, any suggestion as to where to look. Also have been looking at $59 xdf that appears to have much support including development for 808 ecu with mods.
Would this be a better option, should I consider replacing 808. Will hold off on sv3800 tune until i have second ecu and modified with socket to accept eeprom and ultimately real time tune.
Still coming to grip with the basics so if I have got it all wrong or appear confused please beer with me, pun intended.
-
delcowizzid
- Posts: 5709
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
- Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
- Location: Wellington NZ
Re: VN Commodore ECU update
the 2bar$5D im looking at has the same number of cells as stock
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
-
mag
- Posts: 327
- Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:21 pm
- cars: VN Commodore
- Location: Blue Mountains NSW
Re: VN Commodore ECU update
sorry, must learn to count better. also now understand how 2.5 bar map would be much worse if number of cells was not increased. really need to change from $5d bin. is $59 and work being done to run in 808 an option or have i misunderstood the threads.
-
delcowizzid
- Posts: 5709
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
- Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
- Location: Wellington NZ
Re: VN Commodore ECU update
yeah the lads over at www.code59.org are working on getting the $59 working on 1227165 ecu which is the same as a 1227808 vn-vp ecu but with a highspeed comms chip which we can add that when needed.im not sure how much of a rush they have going on it havnt been over there for a while either had other things going on.I have run the $58 and $59 on a holden v6 before never drove with it but did have it running and reving up sweet.the stig on justcommodores and on here did do a lap round the block on it.but there are some issues with it as it is now .solid check engine light but no error codes and certian things are getting sent to the wrong pins of the ecu plugs but they plan to work around that buy rewriting the code slightly.there are a hell of a lot of cars running that 2bar$5D and driving well nearly every turbo and SC14 on JC's is running it ive put it in a fair few cars myself and as you have seen CAPA sell it with there chargers and its not cheap.think my mate paid $700 or more for his capa charger tune.i thought they would of been using kalmaker was astonished when i saw it was that 2bar$5D hack LOL especially for that price.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: VN Commodore ECU update
$59 runs on holden 202's ...... JUST 
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
mag
- Posts: 327
- Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:21 pm
- cars: VN Commodore
- Location: Blue Mountains NSW
Re: VN Commodore ECU update
delcowizzid I must have mis-interpreted your earlier comments about 2bar$5D and limited number of cells, though you were saying that loss of 20 & 30 kpa areas with 2 bar map already made for a poor tune and would be even worse with 2.5 bar map. if 2bar$5D is pretty good with 2 bar map, provided a 2.5 bar map had 5v output at 2 bar, ecu would be happy. can arrange this by small amplification of 2.5 bar map output. something like the transfer curve in the attachment, assuming i succeded with the upload
-
adrian
- Posts: 21
- Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:58 pm
- Location: Melbourne, Australia
Re: VN Commodore ECU update
Mag
quite some time ago when I had a car that used an '808 I modified a $5D binary to have an extended VE table , 17 X 19 in place of the original 17 X 9.
From memory I think I tested it and it seemed to work fine but I sold the car shortly after and never went anywhere with it.
I haven't read through your post completely to see if you have a running car but if you want to test it I'll dig it up.
As quite a bit of the data area is relocated you'd need to give me a binary that's working in your car so I could modify it to include the changes.
Let me know if your interested,(or anyone else) and i'll see what I can do. I might even dust off the old test bench and confirm it's doing what it should do.
Cheers,
Adrian
quite some time ago when I had a car that used an '808 I modified a $5D binary to have an extended VE table , 17 X 19 in place of the original 17 X 9.
From memory I think I tested it and it seemed to work fine but I sold the car shortly after and never went anywhere with it.
I haven't read through your post completely to see if you have a running car but if you want to test it I'll dig it up.
As quite a bit of the data area is relocated you'd need to give me a binary that's working in your car so I could modify it to include the changes.
Let me know if your interested,(or anyone else) and i'll see what I can do. I might even dust off the old test bench and confirm it's doing what it should do.
Cheers,
Adrian