VX ecotec into race car

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
User avatar
O_man_ra23
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:01 am
cars: 1977 RA28 Celica Liftback (turbo 18RG)
1977 RA28 Celica Dirt Circuit (VX Ecotec)
1976 RA23 Celica Coupe IPRA (BEAMS 3S)
2013 86 GTS Aero
Location: Port Pirie, SA

VX ecotec into race car

Post by O_man_ra23 »

G'day all,

I've just purchased a VX to swap the ecotec into my dirt circuit car to replace the VR Buick with shagged 4HDD tranny. I've ordered an envious customs ALDL cable. I want to delete the key and BCM, remove any associated faults and ECU locking code as a starting point. Later I'll take it to the local dyno tuner for 98RON open exhaust tuning, but will need to adjust the transmission based on how it goes at the track.

From the FAQ and other searches, I need to get flashtool and the tunerpro plugin. From there, has anybody played with these and deleted the above mentioned bits? Is there a topic on how this was done? I'm not new to tuning, but have only worked with aftermarket systems. I'll have the motor still in the donor car for about a week, so would like to resolve most of this before removal. I won't be running the commodore dash either.

Any assistance with what I haven't been able to find in the FAQ etc is much appreciated.
Last edited by O_man_ra23 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Owen
:afro:
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: VX ecotec into race car

Post by VL400 »

To get it to run in the VR you need to disable VATS. The low speed fan setup will also need changing but can be done later.

Use the flashtool to get cal, Tunerpro to edit (XDF here .. https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5) and flashtool to write cal when done.

Flashtool download here, read the info about flash PCMs first though .. https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewt ... p?f=3&t=82
User avatar
O_man_ra23
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:01 am
cars: 1977 RA28 Celica Liftback (turbo 18RG)
1977 RA28 Celica Dirt Circuit (VX Ecotec)
1976 RA23 Celica Coupe IPRA (BEAMS 3S)
2013 86 GTS Aero
Location: Port Pirie, SA

Re: VX ecotec into race car

Post by O_man_ra23 »

Car is actually a 1977 Celica, just has a VR motor presently.

My radiator has a single fan which is run off a dash switch, as is the fuel pump.

Thanks for the info thus far, I guess once the cable turns up I'll have more of a play and will have more pointed questions
Cheers, Owen
:afro:
Dazza92VP
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:59 pm
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon
Location: Perth

Re: VX ecotec into race car

Post by Dazza92VP »

Why not just jam the Ecotec in there and keep the vr wiring loom and ecu and run the Ecotec off that? That way you have basically no wiring to do again and it gives you the 424ecu which you can use 11p with
User avatar
O_man_ra23
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:01 am
cars: 1977 RA28 Celica Liftback (turbo 18RG)
1977 RA28 Celica Dirt Circuit (VX Ecotec)
1976 RA23 Celica Coupe IPRA (BEAMS 3S)
2013 86 GTS Aero
Location: Port Pirie, SA

Re: VX ecotec into race car

Post by O_man_ra23 »

VR loom I have is for a 4HDD box (which has dead 1st and 2nd) so not compatible with the later boxes.

Wiring isn't a problem, and the VR loom has been tampered with by previous owners so would rather start with a fresh loom.
Cheers, Owen
:afro:
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: VX ecotec into race car

Post by vlad01 »

I'd just stick with the VR engine, they have more potential than the ecotec as long you are willing to spend the cash.
User avatar
O_man_ra23
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:01 am
cars: 1977 RA28 Celica Liftback (turbo 18RG)
1977 RA28 Celica Dirt Circuit (VX Ecotec)
1976 RA23 Celica Coupe IPRA (BEAMS 3S)
2013 86 GTS Aero
Location: Port Pirie, SA

Re: VX ecotec into race car

Post by O_man_ra23 »

Not spending cash. VR donk leaks like a sieve and the box is dead. Cheaper to buy a VX and transfer everything over. The car weighs stuff all so don't need big power to be competitive. Really can't see a stock VR motor being better than a stock VX motor, and aside from open pipes, pod filter and some tuning tweaks, nothing would get done to either. No point in even raising the rev limit. If I ever think I need more power I'll put a stock LS1 in.
Cheers, Owen
:afro:
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: VX ecotec into race car

Post by vlad01 »

Don't underestimate the older engines. stock for stock the pre ecotec engines are far more durable. You don't have have much room to play with on the ecotec before the pistons disintegrate or the heads crack if they haven't already. They are very sensitive to knock damage unless you spend cash to install decent pistons.
Dazza92VP
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:59 pm
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon
Location: Perth

Re: VX ecotec into race car

Post by Dazza92VP »

The 424 will run the later model transmissions but looses only the tcc pwm. But if someone else has had ago at the wirining loom I can totally under stand wanting to rewire and make something more reliable that you know
User avatar
O_man_ra23
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:01 am
cars: 1977 RA28 Celica Liftback (turbo 18RG)
1977 RA28 Celica Dirt Circuit (VX Ecotec)
1976 RA23 Celica Coupe IPRA (BEAMS 3S)
2013 86 GTS Aero
Location: Port Pirie, SA

Re: VX ecotec into race car

Post by O_man_ra23 »

Ok, I've uploaded the BIN from the PCM twice to make sure I got it right. Did a compare between the two in TunerPro, and there are differences. One is in the Calibration Identification parameter, the rest are in unidentified items.

Is this normal?
Cheers, Owen
:afro: