Coil Pack Testing
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8548
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: L67 vs N/A Coil Packs
I picked up on it after cleaning the engine I lifted the lead to find it full of water and while pushing the lead back on bubbles and water came out the base of the post so I knew then how the water got in.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8548
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: L67 vs N/A Coil Packs
slice one in half and one OEM one to compare.The1 wrote:ive have one or two here OEM that have cracks in them, but you can only just see it, it's not actually split like the MSD coils, i wonder if it's because of the extra windings they had to make the case thinner to keep the size the same, hence easier to split.
-
The1
- Posts: 4852
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am
Re: L67 vs N/A Coil Packs
Good idea I'll try hacksaw fail that angle grinder and post pics
Btw tested a LS2 coil for comparison the test was a fail as my tester only goes to 60mm
I need more gap
Btw tested a LS2 coil for comparison the test was a fail as my tester only goes to 60mm
-
Gareth
- Posts: 2678
- Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
- Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic
Re: L67 vs N/A Coil Packs
Btw tested a LS2 coil for comparison the test was a fail as my tester only goes to 60mmI need more gap
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: L67 vs N/A Coil Packs
How far does an LS1 coil jump?
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: L67 vs N/A Coil Packs
DElcowizzid had some good gains testing LS coils on his ecotec too if I remember correctly.
I'll leave this here, interesting reading back over it....
LSx Coil Driver
I'll leave this here, interesting reading back over it....
LSx Coil Driver
Last edited by immortality on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
The1
- Posts: 4852
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am
Re: L67 vs N/A Coil Packs
i chucked those msd's on this morning for the run to work to test against stock coil packs but havn't seen any difference in MAF or Cylinder airflow readings, this is with acdelco V Groove plugs at stock 1.5mm, i might try opening them to 1.6mm or 1.7mm and see if it holds then test whith stock coils. after that ill cut one open msd and stock and compair insides 
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: L67 vs N/A Coil Packs
I'm fairly damn certain our Calais had better fuel economy when the spark plugs were gapped at 1.5mm (iridium plugs) but it missed under boost so I closed em up to 1.1mm. Now running 1.3mm gaps on the same plugs, no miss but not quiet as good on fuel economy.
I do suspect some of my miss and knock issues could have been related to a sick injector making one pot run lean most likely. Since replacing the injectors I've added some timing back in I took out originally to counter knock. I am also running on 98 now as my local servo finally stocks it
It's definitely happier now with more boost and timing, running smoother than any time since we've had it. Still using the same iridium plugs fitted by the previous owner which have no done ~50,000km.
Fuel economy on the other hand is heading ever southward but I suspect that is mainly do to increased gridlock these days. A trip that takes 15 minutes on a good day now averages 1 to 1.5 hours on a bad day.
I do suspect some of my miss and knock issues could have been related to a sick injector making one pot run lean most likely. Since replacing the injectors I've added some timing back in I took out originally to counter knock. I am also running on 98 now as my local servo finally stocks it
Fuel economy on the other hand is heading ever southward but I suspect that is mainly do to increased gridlock these days. A trip that takes 15 minutes on a good day now averages 1 to 1.5 hours on a bad day.
-
The1
- Posts: 4852
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am
Re: L67 vs N/A Coil Packs
here's that gap tester, i have 2 atm might have to grab another so i can test to 90mm 
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
MAGP
- Posts: 665
- Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 7:48 am
- cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.
Re: L67 vs N/A Coil Packs
You're gonna have to add "coil tester" to your signature now.