that said I have moved to non-projected tip plugs, they come gapped smaller already and don't need to be changed, so easy
Coil Pack Testing
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: L67 vs N/A Coil Packs
the only car I have ever really needed to play with gaps was the turbo 202 and it stopped it missing with smaller gaps, as for economy
that said I have moved to non-projected tip plugs, they come gapped smaller already and don't need to be changed, so easy
that said I have moved to non-projected tip plugs, they come gapped smaller already and don't need to be changed, so easy
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
The1
- Posts: 4852
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am
Re: L67 vs N/A Coil Packs
Here you go, the edge plastic is definitely thinner, the coil config is different on the outer ring and it has a half a row extra coil winding on the inner. the solid part in the middle is bigger, also the plastic on the msd isn't very good with temps it just bubbled away as soon as the angle grinder hit it where as the OEM ones took the hit. I also noticed with the OEM one which was one that failed it was all rusty in the middle part. ZIP File has high res pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Gareth
- Posts: 2678
- Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
- Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic
Re: L67 vs N/A Coil Packs
Thanks for posting that
Wasn't expecting them to be that much different... i wonder why that layout works better?..
Wasn't expecting them to be that much different... i wonder why that layout works better?..
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8548
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: L67 vs N/A Coil Packs
I see the MSD one had the 2ndary in staged rings most likely to prevent dielectric breakdown of the winding enamel if it were all bunched together. The OEM appears to have a 2ndary coil as copper foil with insulating sheet much like a capacitor construction.
-
The1
- Posts: 4852
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am
Re: L67 vs N/A Coil Packs
i counted ruffly about 85 Turns on the OEM and 100 Turns for the MSD copper winding's around the middle core. But yeh alot of differences between the two.
-
Gareth
- Posts: 2678
- Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
- Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic
Re: Coil Pack Testing
I wonder if the newer style are any different?
So far i think this could be 'myth busted'?
So far i think this could be 'myth busted'?
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8548
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Coil Pack Testing
Should cut an L67 one open and count the windings, including the 2ndary if you dare 
-
The1
- Posts: 4852
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am
Re: Coil Pack Testing
Yeh I might do have nothing to loose as there the same output and OEM Na
-
The1
- Posts: 4852
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am
Re: Coil Pack Testing
renamed the main thread to coil pack testing and attached a graph on the first post of the air gap results which ill update if more coils get tested.
-
The1
- Posts: 4852
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am
Re: Coil Pack Testing
FYI MSD coils weigh 545 Grams, OEM weight 530 - 539 grams