Broken NVRAM pins how to replace

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
Slick 6
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:07 am
cars: Holden Commodore vx Calais l67
Holden Commodore vt l67

Broken NVRAM pins how to replace

Post by Slick 6 »

Help iv Broken pins on my pcmhacking memcal NVRAM chip can some one please help us it repairable? It's for vx calias l67
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Broken NVRAM pins how to replace

Post by Holden202T »

is it on the nvram chip that its broken or on the board it connects to ?

if there is enough length there you can probably use a sockect and solder it into it .... but if its broken off at the base of the chip you might be screwed.
Slick 6
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:07 am
cars: Holden Commodore vx Calais l67
Holden Commodore vt l67

Re: Broken NVRAM pins how to replace

Post by Slick 6 »

On the nvram at the base? Is there any way to read the tune off it like that or am I screwed? If so how do I get another tune for it, as it was in car when I brought it so I have no clue!


I brought a new chip as close as I could get as old broken one off ebay,its just a blank one not sure if it usable : DALLAS DS1245Y-70+
NONVOLATILE SRAM
1316L 291970
PHILIPPINES
Only difference with old one was the 1316L & 291970 numbers are different
Last edited by Slick 6 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dazza92VP
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:59 pm
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon
Location: Perth

Re: Broken NVRAM pins how to replace

Post by Dazza92VP »

I did this and I carefully scraped back a bit of plastic from the base tinned what was sticking out then tinned the broken leg and soldered to it but I really don't want to ever remove it from the socket on the board ever again
User avatar
The1
Posts: 4852
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Broken NVRAM pins how to replace

Post by The1 »

if you get stuck i do have new nvrams here for sale.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10014
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: Broken NVRAM pins how to replace

Post by antus »

yeah you'll need precision work to rig up something temporary to get a read but it can sometimes be done. Dont use a fat soldering iron and go slow and careful with the work. Most the ebay chips are clones and dont work properly but you might get lucky. Generally they loose the contents easy or have a short life from cheap non industrial spec batteries in them, but you cant really tell what you've got without breaking it open to inspect the battery and destroying it in the process.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396