Have emailed kelford cams, told them the story, I will let you all know what the response is
thanks everyone for your input really appreciate it
Vs series 3 v8 ute
-
The J'rod
- Posts: 105
- Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:54 am
- cars: Vs V8 series 3 commodore ute
- Location: Sunshine Coast
-
The J'rod
- Posts: 105
- Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:54 am
- cars: Vs V8 series 3 commodore ute
- Location: Sunshine Coast
Re: Vs series 3 v8 ute
MAGP how did you go with measuring your MAF
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Vs series 3 v8 ute
The J'rod wrote:Have emailed kelford cams, told them the story, I will let you all know what the response is
thanks everyone for your input really appreciate it
Those Kelford cams I quoted were hydro flat tappet so a bit different to the roller cam you would want. No doubt they could sort something out for you though. Be kinda interesting to see what they would recommend.
-
MAGP
- Posts: 665
- Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 7:48 am
- cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.
Re: Vs series 3 v8 ute
Haven't done it yet, spent the last few days preparing for a birthday. I knew I could cook but not like I have the last few days. I'll try to remember to do it tomorrow morning.The J'rod wrote:MAGP how did you go with measuring your MAF
-
The J'rod
- Posts: 105
- Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:54 am
- cars: Vs V8 series 3 commodore ute
- Location: Sunshine Coast
Re: Vs series 3 v8 ute
Recieved an interesting reply from kelford cams
" Unfortunately we don’t have a core for the Holden 304 roller, we only have one to suit a full race engine with big lift and duration, because the nature of the steel material needed for roller cams we can't grind the profile down to suit a street application as we would go through the hardening and cause problems.
We can however convert the engine to a flat tappet cam, this involves a new billet cam, lifters, pushrods and valve springs. It can be done around the same price as a roller cam on its own.
Let me know your thoughts, I can send a quote through if need be."
I'm not going down this path
" Unfortunately we don’t have a core for the Holden 304 roller, we only have one to suit a full race engine with big lift and duration, because the nature of the steel material needed for roller cams we can't grind the profile down to suit a street application as we would go through the hardening and cause problems.
We can however convert the engine to a flat tappet cam, this involves a new billet cam, lifters, pushrods and valve springs. It can be done around the same price as a roller cam on its own.
Let me know your thoughts, I can send a quote through if need be."
I'm not going down this path
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vs series 3 v8 ute
lol yeah neither would I. I can't see how they can't do the case hardening for that particular cam. Just about every other cam manufacture can and does.
flat tappet is a backward step, also limits the ramp rate that is otherwise normal for roller cams.
flat tappet is a backward step, also limits the ramp rate that is otherwise normal for roller cams.
-
HQ355
- Posts: 1217
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
- cars: HQ Holden
Re: Vs series 3 v8 ute
Keep it roller, heaps more low down torque
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vs series 3 v8 ute
yeah because the advertises duration can be smaller while at 50 remain the same ( higher ramp rate) so the dynamic CR remains higher, yet still providing flow of a bigger advertised cam equivalent in flat tappet.
-
The J'rod
- Posts: 105
- Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:54 am
- cars: Vs V8 series 3 commodore ute
- Location: Sunshine Coast
Re: Vs series 3 v8 ute
Going to ring tighe cams in Brisbane and see what they think and whether they would do me a cam similar ato the Howard's specs, need to contact Clive cams as well, then I think I will have rang just about every cam shop in oz
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vs series 3 v8 ute
Clive will make any cam you want as long as its physically possible in terms of profiles, eg. not infinite ramp rate. I can't recommend them enough.