where is the ECM (not the PCM) in a VS?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
jeepster
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:30 pm
cars: Now Commodore
Before Falcon

where is the ECM (not the PCM) in a VS?

Post by jeepster »

In most forums, I find people using the wrong terminology, calling the PCM all sorts of things, including ECM.
In my VS Commodore, I have the PCM behind the left-hand kick panel. There is another module under the glove box,
black plastic, marked "self learning feedback system". I presume this module is the real "ECM"

:?:
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: where is the ECM (not the PCM) in a VS?

Post by delcowizzid »

ecm and pcm are basically the same thing "engine control module" which is the older style controls engine only. and powertrain control module" which does engine and trans. your car will only have one being vs it will be passenger side kick panel shoved up beside the dash with 3 pink plugs going into it
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
User avatar
Doctor Bob
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:58 pm
cars: VN, VT
Location: Melbourne Vic.

Re: where is the ECM (not the PCM) in a VS?

Post by Doctor Bob »

the module near the steering column is the Body Control Module
yoda69
Posts: 1226
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:20 am
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual
Location: Geelong, VIC

Re: where is the ECM (not the PCM) in a VS?

Post by yoda69 »

Without knowing the details of the car I'd hazard a guess that the "self learning feedback system" is the controller for an LPG system.
Is the car fitted with LPG or has it been in the past?

yoda69
jeepster
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:30 pm
cars: Now Commodore
Before Falcon

Re: where is the ECM (not the PCM) in a VS?

Post by jeepster »

yoda69 wrote:Without knowing the details of the car I'd hazard a guess that the "self learning feedback system" is the controller for an LPG system.
Is the car fitted with LPG or has it been in the past?

yoda69
Yes, previous owner had LPG conversion. I was wondering what this was, I could not find it in the workshop manual.