After a lot of research I ended up opting for what is said to be the best in the world currently from 1320 Electronics in Florida.
It does both Bluetooth and USB.
So I've got a few beginners questions if that's OK so I don't beggar anything up.
Firstly the car is a..
2004 VY Series 2 Commodore Station Wagon.
3800 V6 Ecotec N/A - No Supercharger sadly.. Maybe one day!
4L60E Transmission.
The car is an ex QAS Fast response vehicle so some things may be different as it's what they call a "Police Spec'd vehicle".
Also the previous owner has had 3x different LPG systems on the car before giving up and putting it back to just normal petrol.
The car has always run rough at idle so I suspect either something has not been put back correctly or there is a sensor or something not happy.
This is one of my main reasons for getting the cable to look into this and other ideas.
So the first step I assume is to do a binary dump of the cars computer (ECM?) to see what code is being run? (I guess it's also smart to back it up).
To do this I simply load the OSE Enhanced Flash Tool (my laptop is windows 10 BTW) and select [vehicle: Flash PCM in Vehicle] then [Interface: USB ALDL], Select ECM Com port, then lastly click "Get Bin". Once finished save the file and send here for scrutiny?
Out of interest how long does this take? And can I do it with the car off? (The interface seems to work the second you plug it in).
Is there anything dangerous about attempting this?
After this I'd like to have a go at retrieving the unlocking code.
Oh, I was also going to have a go at ALDL Scan. But it needs a .ALDL config file to suit the car. I am yet to find one online
Similarly for ALDLdroid. And TunerPro.
Any help / feedback appreciated
.-.-.