The VN Great Escape

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
ToyHicko
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 9:51 am
cars: Toyota Celica/VN Bash Car
Location: Coffs Harbour, Australia

Re: The VN Great Escape

Post by ToyHicko »

Yeah the so called expert of doesn't seem to know much about the signs of engine wear. :wtf: All they seem to do is a compression test and power test. Yeah mate engine is fine smoke the rear rears up easily before we pulled it out most be in good condition.

Anyway interesting weekend I have the LSD in my garage but looks to now be open wheeler so needs a rebuild. The most interested thing about the diff is it's meant to be a VN diff as it was advertised but looks to have speed sensors build into the diff housing for ABS. From my understanding the VN didn't have ABS what vehicle had ABS on a live axle? Or what else could these sensors before?

The other thing I did was fit the New stereo, most important now I have tunes to listen to while I sand. Also spent half a day fixing the well design fuel tank vent and vapour hoses. :think: what a prick of a job! No more fuel smell.
User avatar
Dec_head
Posts: 505
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:33 pm
cars: VR Calais

Re: The VN Great Escape

Post by Dec_head »

I am pretty sure the vp series 2 was the first with abs as an option on live Axel
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: The VN Great Escape

Post by Holden202T »

yeah it could be anything up to vs diff!

the up side is it doesn't matter that it has the sensors in it and if it is from a newer car theres more chance it'll have less kms on it!
ToyHicko
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 9:51 am
cars: Toyota Celica/VN Bash Car
Location: Coffs Harbour, Australia

Re: The VN Great Escape

Post by ToyHicko »

I was just thought IRS only had ABS, as i haven't seem a live axle ABS commodore.

Well pulled the back of the LSD on the weekend to discover the cones are worn out and hard up against the housing. Could be the reason it's an open diff at the moment, just hope the housing isn't damaged. So have to buy a couple of cones and shims and do a rebuild.

Still no word about an engine

Also sourced a couple of VQ V8 statesman front struts to put in the springs in to lift it up a little.
In the process of organising access to a spray booth to paint the commodore.

Any Ideas for a theme for the team?
I'm thinking something like Space Cadets make the shuttle shape storage rack for the roof.
Could also do a stig team and all dress up as the stig. Only it would be a quite trip.
User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: The VN Great Escape

Post by Jayme »

yeah I Was gonna say earlier, I know its a different width being a wagon, but my VS wagon has a live axle and ABS, never seen live axle abs in a sedan myself.
UCMatt
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 6:00 am
cars: VX SS Hillclimb special
2023 Audi S5
LS1 V8 UC Torana Hatch

Re: The VN Great Escape

Post by UCMatt »

I got a VP ser2 sedan ABS live axle sitting in the shed at the moment.
ToyHicko
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 9:51 am
cars: Toyota Celica/VN Bash Car
Location: Coffs Harbour, Australia

Re: The VN Great Escape

Post by ToyHicko »

Well another quick update

Nothing has changed on the car since last time due to work :thumbdown:

Other thing looks like My mate is going to pull the pin so I'll be looking of a co pilot before I progress much further. Have purchased a few items.
A Rally Trip computer real for navigations with a foot pedal reset. :D Ebay
Some new cones to rebuild the LSD
and some X-Troll to Treat/Prevent the rust

Now I just Need to find Time.
Still no Joy with the engine :evil:

This year rally just finished so I have about 12 months to get the car ready to race. :roll:
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: The VN Great Escape

Post by Holden202T »

what did the cones set you back ?
User avatar
Dec_head
Posts: 505
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:33 pm
cars: VR Calais

Re: The VN Great Escape

Post by Dec_head »

$25 a gram lol
ToyHicko
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 9:51 am
cars: Toyota Celica/VN Bash Car
Location: Coffs Harbour, Australia

Re: The VN Great Escape

Post by ToyHicko »

The cones were $55 each.

The rally starts in Tamworth next year and run to Port Douglas. Should be Fun!