E85 L67 fuel economy

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: E85 L67 fuel economy

Post by vlad01 »

Wade wrote:Sorry to change the subject. What’s involved in changing to e85? Fuel pumps, injectors, filter, fuel lines and change the fuelling by around 25% ect?
Its actually 50.5 % more fuel for exactly E85.

I see a lot of people stating around that 30% mark which I can't seem to figure out where that number comes from.
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: E85 L67 fuel economy

Post by Wade »

krusty wrote:
Wade wrote:I’m finding that I’m really knock limited with pulp 98 and by the time I remove timing the car runs like a pig around 3000 to 4000rpm
Using E85 to cover knock without a dyno to monitor torque gained/ loss is not a great idea. Feed back of 98 on road tune/ log is a handy thing.

Remember that the more efeccient a cylinder is, the less timing it will use most of the time so probably means you need to run less timing and more boost :thumbup:
I like your thinking
dusto
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:04 am
cars: VE Maloo GXP
VY Tonner L67
Captiva
SV1000s
ER6-Race bike

Re: E85 L67 fuel economy

Post by dusto »

you use about 1/3 less petrol then E85, i think thats where the 30% comes from, the maths works back to 1.5 times the amount of petrol roughly
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: E85 L67 fuel economy

Post by Wade »

vlad01 wrote:
Wade wrote:Sorry to change the subject. What’s involved in changing to e85? Fuel pumps, injectors, filter, fuel lines and change the fuelling by around 25% ect?
Its actually 50.5 % more fuel for exactly E85.

I see a lot of people stating around that 30% mark which I can't seem to figure out where that number comes from.
I was just taking a wild guess. I’ve never tuned or ran e85. So it’s all new to me.
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: E85 L67 fuel economy

Post by Wade »

dusto
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:04 am
cars: VE Maloo GXP
VY Tonner L67
Captiva
SV1000s
ER6-Race bike

Re: E85 L67 fuel economy

Post by dusto »

9.8 stoich

14.7 Stoich


9.8 * 1.505 = 14.75 pretty close there, thats how i adjusted all my tables
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: E85 L67 fuel economy

Post by vlad01 »

yeah stoich E85 is about 9.76:1 give or take, most round to 9.8 and call it done.

I have done plenty of testing on E85 on the dyno and checked this against calculated/adjusted tables vs actual WB lambda and its pretty spot on, actually slightly leaner as E85 is more often E90 from united, its within 2% so well within the margin of error on the equipment and hardware.
dusto
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:04 am
cars: VE Maloo GXP
VY Tonner L67
Captiva
SV1000s
ER6-Race bike

Re: E85 L67 fuel economy

Post by dusto »

so maybe better to aim for 9.7 stoich with united?
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: E85 L67 fuel economy

Post by vlad01 »

yeah you can but its pretty forgiving either direction without any noticeable change to power output or timing requirements