Hi
I have a very loud rattle in the higher rpm range it starts at 3900 rpm and up coming from the engine bay, i'm not sure if it's tune related or mechanical i have included a xdl which shows alot of retard and some knock thanks in advance.
Vs l67 rattle high rpm
-
Comcal76
- Posts: 182
- Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:18 am
- Location: Tasmania
Vs l67 rattle high rpm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vs l67 rattle high rpm
could be anything including detonation. Without physically looking at the engine, we'd only be guessing.
Perhaps post up a video on youtube?
Perhaps post up a video on youtube?
-
Comcal76
- Posts: 182
- Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:18 am
- Location: Tasmania
Re: Vs l67 rattle high rpm
Thanks mate.
I ruled out the tune by putting the memcal into another vs l67 and had no rattle. Thanks
I ruled out the tune by putting the memcal into another vs l67 and had no rattle. Thanks
-
L67PSI
- Posts: 181
- Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:27 am
- cars: L67 VT Calais
Re: Vs l67 rattle high rpm
Quick test is to remove blower belt. That can eliminate supercharger noise, especially the coupler as these flog out and can rattle / clunk.
-
Comcal76
- Posts: 182
- Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:18 am
- Location: Tasmania
Re: Vs l67 rattle high rpm
The rattle goes away with the blower belt removed, charger has new coupler, so I thought maybe the rotor pack so I swapped the charger over with another which had a new coupler also and it still rattled, have also replaced the tensioner to eliminate that.L67PSI wrote:Quick test is to remove blower belt. That can eliminate supercharger noise, especially the coupler as these flog out and can rattle / clunk.
Thanks
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vs l67 rattle high rpm
Take a look at the harmonic balancer, it could be on its last legs and starting to come apart internally hence it could explain the noise when there is a load from the blower
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: Vs l67 rattle high rpm
Think vlads on the money.
-
Comcal76
- Posts: 182
- Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:18 am
- Location: Tasmania
Re: Vs l67 rattle high rpm
vlad01 wrote:Take a look at the harmonic balancer, it could be on its last legs and starting to come apart internally hence it could explain the noise when there is a load from the blower
When I replaced the timing chain I went over the balancer really good to check for any sign's of damage, could not even find a split or perishing in the rubber and I tapped with a rubber mallet for any rattles nothing. Thank you both for your idea's I know it's hard to diagnose without hear it.Charlescrown wrote:Think vlads on the money.
-
delcowizzid
- Posts: 5709
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
- Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
- Location: Wellington NZ
Re: Vs l67 rattle high rpm
Balance shaft bearing going maybe
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
-
Comcal76
- Posts: 182
- Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:18 am
- Location: Tasmania
Re: Vs l67 rattle high rpm
Sorry mate I should have posted that I replaced the timing chain with a double row and deleted the balance shaft.delcowizzid wrote:Balance shaft bearing going maybe
Mods.
86mm pulley reads 6 psi in lim, mace 1:98 rockers, pacemaker extractors, 2 1/2 catback, ported charger (rattled before porting).
Thing's replaced, catalytic converter, o2 sensor's, timing chain, belt tensoiner's, water pump, plug's, lead's, coil's, dfi, fuel pump genuine walbro 342 not eBay, fuel filter, 82 degree thermostat, transmission and converter.
Thing's borrowed too try, maf, fuel rail and injector's from a perfect running car, standard size supercharger pulley.
Sorry for not posting this before thanks.