Subaru O2 sensor

For non EFI mechanical discussion
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Subaru O2 sensor

Post by immortality »

LOL, I was considering the exact thing last night. I have a genuine Delphi Holden 4 wire O2 sensor in the garage, so by the above I'm assuming the sensors are much the same? what changes per vehicle is the wiring tail length and plug used?
User avatar
The1
Posts: 4852
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Subaru O2 sensor

Post by The1 »

there all designed to swing at stoich, only thing that maybe an issue is using a heated sensor without the heater, may reduce it's life? i dunno, it would take longer to warm up but in theory should work fine.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Subaru O2 sensor

Post by vlad01 »

Pretty much just plug and pin out. They all should be the same if its a NB.

I havvn't used stock one for years on my cars. I always wire up and replace them with a L67 4 wire heated type in my 2 wire VPs as the heater makes a big difference on extractors, stock ones can't get hot enough to work all the way 800mm from the heads and throw up an error as soon as it gets to closed loop mode.
User avatar
The1
Posts: 4852
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Subaru O2 sensor

Post by The1 »

i had that on a few, there is a o2 warmup timer you can change, on ecotec pcm's anyway.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Subaru O2 sensor

Post by vlad01 »

Yeah it wasn't a time issue, it physically dropped in and out of operations depending on engine load, just cooled off too much. The VRs have a heated O2 as they are much farther from the VP/VN location.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Subaru O2 sensor

Post by immortality »

I have the spare 4 wire here as I was about to upgrade the one on the 304.
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Subaru O2 sensor

Post by delcowizzid »

Have a look at pics of stock Subaru and aftermarket for Subaru they only have like 4 small holes in the sensor to change the characteristics of the flow of exhaust into them you'll find a Commodore one might not work to well
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
User avatar
pman92
Posts: 667
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 12:50 pm
Location: Castlemaine, Vic

Re: Subaru O2 sensor

Post by pman92 »

What's wrong with the Subaru one? Has it thrown a dtc for heater circuit? Ive lost count of the amount of subaru sensors I've replaced with open circuit O2 heaters. See it occasionally on other makes but it's almost always a Subaru, not sure why.

Assuming its a narrowband I see no reason you could not use the 4 wire sensor you already have.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Subaru O2 sensor

Post by immortality »

Were getting a couple of codes just using the black plug under the dash and reading the flashes which are a bit annoying. Now I thought it was 128 which is a thermostat fault but it could also be 137 which seems to be an O2 sensor fault. Also getting what I believe is a 15 which I think might be an injector code.

All this is for a 2002 Subaru Legacy B4 RS30 with EZ30 motor.