chip solder in ?
-
ekdave1962
- Posts: 100
- Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:12 am
- cars: EK holden running vn v6
- Location: Geelong
chip solder in ?
hi i picked up what is ment to be a vn ecu and notice that the chip is marked differntly to my other one .. and to my suprise when i tried to remove it it was soldered in .. is this common ?
-
delcowizzid
- Posts: 5709
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
- Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
- Location: Wellington NZ
Re: chip solder in ?
yeah they are all soldered in
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10014
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: chip solder in ?
Yep, and the sticker that reads ATFY is normally located there and you can look up what that is on Dr Bobs site here: http://memcals.com/rcc_info_memcals.html
"ATFY4410 $5D 89, 3.8L V6 Auto & Man 1227808 Production Run Change for 1990 Eng"
"ATFY4410 $5D 89, 3.8L V6 Auto & Man 1227808 Production Run Change for 1990 Eng"
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
ekdave1962
- Posts: 100
- Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:12 am
- cars: EK holden running vn v6
- Location: Geelong
Re: chip solder in ?
ok handy site thanks ATFY4410 $5D 89, 3.8L V6 Auto & Man 1227808 Production Run Change for 1990 Eng so series 1 vn v6
-
Circlotron
- Posts: 235
- Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:12 am
- cars: VP 5L LPG
Re: chip solder in ?
How about this memcal? It is from VP 5L.
Does not look like original eprom so maybe someone has changed it. It is on LPG.
Anyway, what is the best way to get the eprom unsoldered? I'm quite handy with a soldering iron but I'm scared that if this is a custom eprom then something might happen if I pull it out the wrong way and I'll be stuffed. I've only had the car 6 weeks - spent 26 years driving Kingswoods so this is my first car with an ECU
Does not look like original eprom so maybe someone has changed it. It is on LPG.
Anyway, what is the best way to get the eprom unsoldered? I'm quite handy with a soldering iron but I'm scared that if this is a custom eprom then something might happen if I pull it out the wrong way and I'll be stuffed. I've only had the car 6 weeks - spent 26 years driving Kingswoods so this is my first car with an ECU
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10014
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: chip solder in ?
What are you trying to do? If you just want to read it then you can make up an adaptor easily enough and leave it in the memcal, which from your other post I guess thats what your doing.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
The1
- Posts: 4852
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am
Re: chip solder in ?
If you dont get an adaptor made, ill have adaptors for sale once i get the rest of the parts in this week im hoping


-
Circlotron
- Posts: 235
- Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:12 am
- cars: VP 5L LPG
Re: chip solder in ?
Yeah, I just want to read it at this stage. I reckon I'll get one of your adapters once they are ready. Send me a personal message.
What's the go with some memcals having a little ceramic pcb with surface mount parts on them? Is that knock sensor circuitry?
What are the two dip package parts on my memcal? Are they just resistor packs for limp home operation or something more complex?
What's the go with some memcals having a little ceramic pcb with surface mount parts on them? Is that knock sensor circuitry?
What are the two dip package parts on my memcal? Are they just resistor packs for limp home operation or something more complex?
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: chip solder in ?
yeah the memcal in your first picture has the V6 knock filter board over the top of the dips.....
the dips are resistor packs for limp home mode, gives the ecm default values that the engine will run with well enough to drive it home if the memcal eprom fails!
they also tell the ecm if its 4 / 6 / 8 cylinder etc
the dips are resistor packs for limp home mode, gives the ecm default values that the engine will run with well enough to drive it home if the memcal eprom fails!
they also tell the ecm if its 4 / 6 / 8 cylinder etc
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
Circlotron
- Posts: 235
- Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:12 am
- cars: VP 5L LPG
5L resistor packs
That's not too hard then.
Say I get myself another memcal assembly but for a different engine and I want to convert it to my engine (VP 5L) is there info somewhere regarding the details of these resistor packs so I could just rig together something rather than have to hunt down suitable resistor packs or, worse still, pay through the nose for a 5 litre memcal?
I can well imagine wreckers almost giving away ECUs for undesirable cars but charging an arm and a leg if you want one for a V8 Commodore despite being so similar.
Say I get myself another memcal assembly but for a different engine and I want to convert it to my engine (VP 5L) is there info somewhere regarding the details of these resistor packs so I could just rig together something rather than have to hunt down suitable resistor packs or, worse still, pay through the nose for a 5 litre memcal?
I can well imagine wreckers almost giving away ECUs for undesirable cars but charging an arm and a leg if you want one for a V8 Commodore despite being so similar.