help with upcoming build
-
delcowizzid
- Posts: 5709
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
- Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
- Location: Wellington NZ
Re: help with upcoming build
There's a couple of stock l67s around with turbo doing high hp daniel West on turbo v6 Commodores on Facebook nearly went 700hp and another one like us runs high 9s stock bottomend 500+rwhp.we killed stock t5s around 300rwkw just tear the teeth clean off the gears lol we did 8 or 9 boxes then just went turbo 350 and enjoy not taking it apart to fix it anymore.now it's started blowing all the teeth off the crownwheel of the diff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
-
Built-vs-t5-ute
- Posts: 57
- Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:01 am
- cars: vz sv6 6 speed (sold)
Lexus ls400
Ms137 crown
Re: help with upcoming build
Damn that's a good effort haha was that 700 on stock bottom? I don't want auto tho definitely not for me haha would rather build a manual T5 box up to take it or if it ends up being easier do a t56
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: help with upcoming build
Built-vs-t5-ute wrote:Oh aren't the zzp ones any good? There hasn't been any USA guys that complain about em. As for the T5 why would I need to change input shaft? Couldn't I use the 26 spline beefed up one that the box comes with and adapt the V6 to it? Possibly a cheaper way? A stock just t56 I've been told has bad luck with busting shift forks and keyways. So to get a good one would be 55 for a magnum alone. I'm aware it does take big cash to get a strong tranny. Just thought it maybe an easier way and less expensive than a t56 and the headache of conversion
Like I said, the input shaft on the v6 t5 is absurdly long and I believe it is the longest of any tremec/BW made automotive class gearbox. It is about 12" long while the longest US T5 is only 9-1/4" for a performance T5 There are some OEM ones at 10" but still too short to work in our holdens behind a v6. Therefore there is only the option of PPG gear set. (they are Aussie based and make one specifically for the V6 but at $6k and only 450hp) The US just doesn't have anything that will work. One guy here had a custom input shaft made for g force aftermarket US gears but it was a shit ton of money and huge ordeal and said it was a mistake to do it. Apparently it took almost a year from inquiry to door.
Not worth the effort or money for the power you want. T56 or TR6060 or similar would be better. Just a conversion bellhousing/adapter plate, custom clutch (you need that anyway for that HP) and conversion cross member and custom tail shaft. Job done.
As for the heads, yeah they weren't anywhere near as good as people hype about them. The locations and geometry on them is out of whack and also you can't fit push rods other than stock sized without breaking through the intake port walls, there is no push rod room on them. That's just BS for the cost of them. Another 2k is needed to get them to flow and issues corrected. So 5.5K or so for good flows but not massively better than ported iron heads.
Last edited by vlad01 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
-
Built-vs-t5-ute
- Posts: 57
- Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:01 am
- cars: vz sv6 6 speed (sold)
Lexus ls400
Ms137 crown
Re: help with upcoming build
Ah ok so no way to shorten the bell housing to suit then I see. Cheers for the heads up then man glad I know what trans I need now
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: help with upcoming build
It may be possible with a custom bell housing but then you are getting into conversion territory so might as well get something strong like the t56 and similar in the first place.
I am certain kits already exist last time I looked.
I am certain kits already exist last time I looked.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
-
Built-vs-t5-ute
- Posts: 57
- Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:01 am
- cars: vz sv6 6 speed (sold)
Lexus ls400
Ms137 crown
Re: help with upcoming build
Yeah tr6060 is the same as a t56. And I don't mind cutting and welding up a mix between the V6 and usa bellhousing
-
Built-vs-t5-ute
- Posts: 57
- Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:01 am
- cars: vz sv6 6 speed (sold)
Lexus ls400
Ms137 crown
Re: help with upcoming build
That might work would it? Make a mix bellhousing as I'm gonna be using a custom clutch anyway. Then I'd save money and get the built t5
-
VK_3800
- Posts: 578
- Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 am
- cars: SS Torana
- Location: NZ
Re: help with upcoming build
These ones? 600 not 900hp (torque rating would have to be less than late model TKO or T56), and costs just much as a brand new box:
http://promotionpowertrain.com/gm-stick.html
Plus shipping which won't be insignificant. The world class T5 is a nice enough box but its on the small side.
If you're going to modify it I would definitely set up the bell housing to suit standard GM (US) input shaft then you'll have options, plus get rid of the weak point with the super long Holden one.
http://promotionpowertrain.com/gm-stick.html
Plus shipping which won't be insignificant. The world class T5 is a nice enough box but its on the small side.
If you're going to modify it I would definitely set up the bell housing to suit standard GM (US) input shaft then you'll have options, plus get rid of the weak point with the super long Holden one.
-
Built-vs-t5-ute
- Posts: 57
- Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:01 am
- cars: vz sv6 6 speed (sold)
Lexus ls400
Ms137 crown
Re: help with upcoming build
Nah not tko. There's the syncroed helical one rated at 600 but they also do a pro shifted straight cut T5 for 7k plus shifting rated for 900+ I believe