PCM Hammer P01 and P59 flash tool v015

They go by many names, P01, P10, P12, P59, E38, VPW, '0411 etc.
darkhorizon
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:41 pm
cars: 1988 Pontiac Fiero

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by darkhorizon »

What's the osid on the one that it won't read?
User avatar
DavidBraley
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:15 pm
cars: 1948 GMC

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by DavidBraley »

12579405
-David

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.
User avatar
turbo_v6
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:50 pm

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by turbo_v6 »

I am confused by that since mine has the same OSID. I wouldn't think that a V8 vs. a V6 would make a difference.

If you have a HPTuners or EFI Live of the same tune that is on there I almost want to spend the credits to flash your tune and try to read it with PCM Hammer.
LS1 Boost OS Version 5 Available Here. For feature suggestions post in here Development Thread.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by antus »

Vin change uses a standard gm api, no kernel is required so it'll work on any vpw pcm. Ignition is semi needed because you trigger pcms shutdown code which persists vin change to flash when ignition is disconnected and b+ is still live.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
User avatar
Gampy
Posts: 2332
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:38 pm

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by Gampy »

The OS is not going to change the readability unless it's locked ...

JonnyB,

My apologies, the switch is required ... You will need to be able to do KeyOn and KeyOff.

[edit]
Damn I type slow, antus beat me ...
[/edit]
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by antus »

Currently locked pcms are not supported. If you know the key you could modify the source code and re-compile to send it. At a later stage we might improve support in this area and at the very least implement custom key entry.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
User avatar
DavidBraley
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:15 pm
cars: 1948 GMC

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by DavidBraley »

Gampy wrote:The OS is not going to change the readability unless it's locked ...
Gampy,

You bring up a good point. I tried more than a dozen times with no luck, using the "ground the pin" technique I found at this link:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5502

I even subtly changed the timing of when and how long I would ground the pin.

Not sure why it will not read with PCM Hammer. The USB BDM NT device reads it, but I'm guessing it has something to do with partially bypassing the CPU to do it. I really don't know, so don't trust that last statement...

I of course can't be 100% certain, but I have doubts that the PCM is locked. It arrived to me via USPS from an ebay purchase in a greasy finger print covered Priority Mail padded envelope. When I took it out of the envelope, it was COVERED in grease.

I'm guessing it's more likely the PCM bin file has something corrupted about it. My plan is to wait until PCM Hammer or my BDM rig can properly write to the 1 meg Intel flash P59's. Then I will do a complete reflash of the darn thing with a completely different but compatible bin. I think I've heard this called "Cloning." If that doesn't fix it, I will carefully lift and replace the flash chip and try again...
-David

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by antus »

Yeah thats probably why it was taken out the car. Clone will probably sort it. You are correct that a bdm read is completely different to a flash over the data port.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
JonnyB
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:00 pm
cars: 83 Ford Ranger, a friend's 91 Mustang that I'll be ls swapping with him (more like for him) and my daily driver 03 Silverado 2500hd rust bucket, lastly an lm7, lq4, and ly6 on stands

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by JonnyB »

Thanks David, Gampy, Antus,

I'll wire in a switch for ignition power, makes perfect sense. Hell, I screwed up a cheap home printer by unplugging before powering down lol, just ask the wife... no dont really, please :) I did switch the ground from pin 1 to 60 and the same error occured, so at least nothing has changed. The pcm I have is an ebay special, so I have no history (except vin shows 01 Yukon) unless I poke and prod the seller, I guess. It reads data through a Mac scantool fine and nothing on the monitor list shows disabled etc, (maybe unmolested). Is the "buffer_empty" error typically indicitive of a pcm, or interface, or pc/file issue? MS c++ is up to date. One test I can do this weekend is try to run the engine with it and starting fluid, see what happens :)

Thanks again, guys!
User avatar
Gampy
Posts: 2332
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:38 pm

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by Gampy »

JonnyB,

I don't see a log posted from your attempt, did you post one?
Always a good idea to post both a Read Properties log and a Debug log from the issue.

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!