Identifying Processor Type

Disassembly, Reassembly, Tools and devleopment. Going deep with Hardware and Software.
ejukated
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:52 am

Identifying Processor Type

Post by ejukated »

Is there any way to tell for certain what processor or processor family a particular bin file is? I am looking at poking around the attached file, I suspect it is a MPC565 processor but not sure, IDA v6.6 doesn't seem to want to disassemble it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VX L67 Getrag
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria

Re: Identifying Processor Type

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

That looks like it's some kind of toyota turbo diesel 89663-26433 file.
ejukated
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:52 am

Re: Identifying Processor Type

Post by ejukated »

Yeah it's either a 1kd or as 1vd
User avatar
j_ds_au
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:21 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Identifying Processor Type

Post by j_ds_au »

ejukated wrote:I suspect it is a MPC565 processor but not sure, IDA v6.6 doesn't seem to want to disassemble it
I think that means it isn't. AFAIK, the way to identify a processor from a bin is to try disassembly for different candidates and see which produces a plausible output.

Joe.