Solder sucker of death
-
delcowizzid
- Posts: 5709
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
- Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
- Location: Wellington NZ
Solder sucker of death
Had this arrive today thought it would of come in handy but I'm too scared to even hold onto it lol.no earth for a start but it does have an alligator clip and a thin wire to run the tip to an antistatic earth on your bench .powered it up started out with 8Vs on the tip and slowly started rising then could smell plastic the power wires are touching the outer metal sleave and starting to smoke volts creeping higher now 14v that's enough for me unplugged it before it tripped a fuse it can go in the bin lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
-
Gareth
- Posts: 2678
- Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
- Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic
Re: Solder sucker of death
I thought you kiwis where tough?...

According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
-
delcowizzid
- Posts: 5709
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
- Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
- Location: Wellington NZ
Re: Solder sucker of death
There's tough and then there's stupid I learnt years ago that stupid hurts lol
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Solder sucker of death
But the sticker says its ok.
-
delcowizzid
- Posts: 5709
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
- Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
- Location: Wellington NZ
Re: Solder sucker of death
Haha got refunded but might try make it safe to use
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: Solder sucker of death
Sticker says OK but the plug says no way. Another quality Chinese product.
-
Ken
- Posts: 238
- Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:05 pm
Re: Solder sucker of death
Hurts the wallet too.delcowizzid wrote:There's tough and then there's stupid I learnt years ago that stupid hurts lol
-
MudDuck514
- Posts: 402
- Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:30 pm
- cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E - Location: North TX, USA
Re: Solder sucker of death
This is sad as they USED to make quality products once upon a time.
Mike
Mike
-
Gampy
- Posts: 2332
- Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:38 pm
Re: Solder sucker of death
Yea, with pride and made to last ...
Intelligence is in the details!
It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!
If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!
If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
-
DavidBraley
- Posts: 182
- Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:15 pm
- cars: 1948 GMC
Re: Solder sucker of death
It sounds like it's getting too much voltage. I got a great deal (about a million years ago) on a variable transformer. Had a busted Bakelite knob on top that I promptly epoxied back together.
It has come in handy so many times I can't even count. I also have a small isolation transformer I plug the variable transformer into so the output is isolated from the mains. Something like this might help if you can find one.
It has come in handy so many times I can't even count. I also have a small isolation transformer I plug the variable transformer into so the output is isolated from the mains. Something like this might help if you can find one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-David
I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.
I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.