Oxygen Sensor Problems Need Some Advice Vp Auto V6

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Newbie1991
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:45 am
cars: 93 Vp 5sp V6 Sedan
93 Vp Wagon V6 auto

Oxygen Sensor Problems Need Some Advice Vp Auto V6

Post by Newbie1991 »

Hi only new here I got sent to here by a member of justcommodores forum for help.
It's a Vp Commodore V6 Auto
My problem is error code 13 openloop I did everything the Gregory's manual tells you to do, I have continuity from D6 and D7 to oxygen sensor, I've replaced the oxygen sensor with new one.
My question is can I run a new wires straight from D6 and D7 from ecu to oxygen sensor and if still doesn't work would that mean I need a new ecu as that's what Gregory's manual says if I can't find the fault any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated.
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: Oxygen Sensor Problems Need Some Advice Vp Auto V6

Post by Charlescrown »

You can rewire but it might be wiser to do some measuring first. Measure the voltage coming out of the O2 sensor at operating temp around 2000rpm. It should be bouncing around nicely. If it's not it may be rich or lean depending on the voltage level. If it looks Ok then measure it at D7 and if it's the same you shouldn't need to do any rewiring. Even though these ECU's are getting old it would be the last think I would replace without some serious testing.
Newbie1991
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:45 am
cars: 93 Vp 5sp V6 Sedan
93 Vp Wagon V6 auto

Re: Oxygen Sensor Problems Need Some Advice Vp Auto V6

Post by Newbie1991 »

This is what I got when testing mate hope you can see it good enough
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Newbie1991
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:45 am
cars: 93 Vp 5sp V6 Sedan
93 Vp Wagon V6 auto

Re: Oxygen Sensor Problems Need Some Advice Vp Auto V6

Post by Newbie1991 »

Edit: I been redoing it after I read your reply hundred times and realise I was waiting to operating temp and then the 2000 rpm I'm getting the good fluctuations now I will update soon thanks again mate
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: Oxygen Sensor Problems Need Some Advice Vp Auto V6

Post by antus »

Yeah that hardware and wiring does look ok. Is it a reasonably normal tune? Did it used to work with the same tune?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Newbie1991
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:45 am
cars: 93 Vp 5sp V6 Sedan
93 Vp Wagon V6 auto

Re: Oxygen Sensor Problems Need Some Advice Vp Auto V6

Post by Newbie1991 »

It's just factory tune to my knowledge mate I haven't done much to it except change oil when I bought it it was already had check engine light flashing on and off and i check it through self diagnosis and was error code 13 oxygen sensor (open circuit) and the book reckons it would use more fuel but now I got it registered it using heaps of fuel $30 not even getting 70kms out of it
Newbie1991
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:45 am
cars: 93 Vp 5sp V6 Sedan
93 Vp Wagon V6 auto

Re: Oxygen Sensor Problems Need Some Advice Vp Auto V6

Post by Newbie1991 »

Sorry guys to be a pain and thanks again I just want to eliminate that it's not the wires coming/going to the ecu from the oxygen sensor so I was thinking of running some temp wires from oxygen sensor to ecu and was wondering do I need to run D6(earth) to engine earth as well as to oxygen sensor and D7 straight to oxygen sensor
Or just run D6(earth)straight to oxygen sensor and same for D7
This is greatly appreciated
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Oxygen Sensor Problems Need Some Advice Vp Auto V6

Post by vlad01 »

Is it a standard exhaust? it doesn't have extractors does it?
Newbie1991
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:45 am
cars: 93 Vp 5sp V6 Sedan
93 Vp Wagon V6 auto

Re: Oxygen Sensor Problems Need Some Advice Vp Auto V6

Post by Newbie1991 »

Standard mate
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Oxygen Sensor Problems Need Some Advice Vp Auto V6

Post by vlad01 »

odd? yeah I would try another ECU.

I had one ECU that used to get code 24 upon starting the car, without even driving off. Code 24 is the speed sensor error, it should not be possible to get that just starting the car. That ECU also ended up overheating my engine to the point it seized. It would not activate the fan despite the sensor reading temps over 100, but oddly in diagnostic mode the fan worked fine.

There definitely was weird glitches with that ECU so I chucked it and all problems were solved with another unit.