USB wiring to MDI

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
VX L67 Getrag
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria

USB wiring to MDI

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

The USB connector on my MDI was falling apart & dodgey so I removed it but wondered if anyone knows what wire goes to what?
93D482F7-4CAD-4784-BAFD-44716ED24395.jpeg
I think from top left to right is black then greeen then red
On bottom from left first is left empty & then white
Then I can put the shield to either of the big bottom holes which was supports for USB connector
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
j_ds_au
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:21 am
Location: Sydney

Re: USB wiring to MDI

Post by j_ds_au »

From left to right, ignoring rows, it should be :
Black, Nothing, Green, White, Red.

So, that matches what you came up with.

Joe.
VX L67 Getrag
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria

Re: USB wiring to MDI

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Ahh cool, thanks for that... makes me feel a lot better before a solder a cable direct!
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: USB wiring to MDI

Post by Holden202T »

i had the same issue with mine, i got usb connectors off ebay pretty cheap, might be a better solution ?

unfortunately mine doesnt work with the new plug, need to test not sure if i've shorted two together, too small for my liking!
VX L67 Getrag
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria

Re: USB wiring to MDI

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Yeah I thought it may be my soldering skilled too but all looks & tests well with multimeter as none are connected with open loop shown to all except earth & white which is high resistance & not zero so thinking that’s normal.

Then there is 5v to red between it & black, it also shows 5v to red from the shield wires to as I have them connected to outer big holes but not sure if I should have them connected & may try cutting them off & see if it helps as it’s not recognising the device.
VX L67 Getrag
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria

Re: USB wiring to MDI

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

so I tried all other options & nothing fixed it connecting to device, so I have ordered another MDI & will attempt to fix this issue later but think I have lifted pads when soldering as it is dual sided PCB.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10015
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: USB wiring to MDI

Post by antus »

you can see the components the pads link to, you could try soldering to the end of the components. I think that large green component is a fuse, might be worth checking for continuity across it.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
User avatar
j_ds_au
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:21 am
Location: Sydney

Re: USB wiring to MDI

Post by j_ds_au »

antus wrote:you can see the components the pads link to, you could try soldering to the end of the components. I think that large green component is a fuse, might be worth checking for continuity across it.
The two large green bits are Polyswitch resettable fuses. Unless faulty, they don't "blow" as such, like a conventional fuse (but it doesn't hurt to check them anyway).

Joe.