Always wanted to ask the question, ...why do the earlier model Commodores always ' pink ' on startup ? almost sounds like the 1st cyl to fire on the cranking cycle
robbie
Start up preignition
-
ladaok
- Posts: 96
- Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:45 am
- cars: none
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Start up preignition
It's not ping, its the oil pump chatter. They run 2 flats drive on the gearotor pump and that allows movements along the plane of the 2 flats so they rattle until the prime up.
This was fixed in late VP where they changed to the 6 spline drive which is is more stable and self centering
This was fixed in late VP where they changed to the 6 spline drive which is is more stable and self centering
-
delcowizzid
- Posts: 5709
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
- Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
- Location: Wellington NZ
Re: Start up preignition
My vx actually pings on startup my roady guy asked me if I run 91 or 95
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
-
ladaok
- Posts: 96
- Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:45 am
- cars: none
Re: Start up preignition
I hope you don't think I'm an A/H ...but I know what 'preignition ( pink / ping ) ' is and sounds like ... I admit that I've never heard of ' oil pump drive chatter ' ..but I KNOW it won't even sound similarvlad01 wrote:It's not ping, its the oil pump chatter. They run 2 flats drive on the gearotor pump and that allows movements along the plane of the 2 flats so they rattle until the prime up.
This was fixed in late VP where they changed to the 6 spline drive which is is more stable and self centering
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Start up preignition
Can you post a video? I literally have never heard or seen this before and want to see it myself.