265 Hemi to efi

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by Holden202T »

yeah i can see the hours in that!!
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by vlad01 »

Yeah my rule is, cost and hours at a realistic estimate, then multiply that by 3 :lol:
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

Those ribs took forever to straighten out but there is actually stuff all filler in them. I knew they would be the first point of contact for anything slid in or out of the back so any filler would just get chewed out.
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

What do you reckon happened here. These were checked before the Fast ignition box was installed and were fine. It was only two of the six spark plugs affected but I didn’t notice what cylinders they came from. One was probably from the same cylinder that the MLS gasket failed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

Just realised I hadn’t mentioned the MLS gasket failure. This obviously happened before i took it to Whyalla hence why it was losing coolant. I took the head to the machine shop and got the gasket face cleaned up and they installed plugs in the coolant galleries. We decided to do this once we realised the MLS gasket had these blocked off anyway. It will give the chamber less of an excuse to relieve itself in the coolant holes. Amazing it ran so hard considering the leak.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by vlad01 »

Detonation, quite bad one too.
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by delcowizzid »

Detonation and very hot plugs 5s are so hot in an ngk I would probably run 7s if it has compression. we run 6s still but low compression and avgas. You are also running non resistor plugs you want bpr6efs or bpr7efs or TR6 it's a 6 heat range but non projected tip and acts a little cooler
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
User avatar
Gampy
Posts: 2332
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:38 pm

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by Gampy »

Totally agree with Delco ...

Looks like 5 dark threads, that equates to about 2 heat ranges hot, that agrees with Delco, to 7's I would go ...

Can't stop detonation damage without stopping the detonation, however you can help the MLS hold up, ensure the surfaces are absolutely perfectly clean during assembly, any residual oil or other contaminate on the surfaces causes burn and failure.
That gasket shows signs of contaminates upon assembly.

I personally use Brake-Clean to clean the surfaces and a final wipe with Isopropyl Alcohol on a lint free.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

Thanks for the replies. I hadnt considered the plug heat range, these are just the same type of plugs I have previously in these engines
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by Charlescrown »

Agree with everyone. Just a question. Was the detonation damage to the head gasket on the opposite side to the spark plug?