GM E38 E67 E40 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

E38 E92 and many others. Approximately 2007 and newer
User avatar
Tazzi
Posts: 3626
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
cars: VE SS Ute
Location: WA

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by Tazzi »

Tre-Cool wrote:Taz, who's your intended target / end user of your app?

I assume with the amount of time your putting into it your not making it freeware.
Its aimed towards the average joe, making backyard tuning affordable to everyone.
J2534 tools are getting cheaper so there is no reason why it cant be done on a budget.

What I want to see is essentially remote tuning, where the average joe can read his tune, send it to a tuner for modifications and then upload them. Gone are the days of sending ECUs via mail.
Or better yet, people offering cheap services to turn specific options on/off or helping out their local enthusiasts on cruises/meetups.

Like always though, its free to everyone that helps contribute to it (basically all of pcmhacking.net), which Im hoping to have a first release by end of this week to pop up on here.

I am only looking at the flashing side of it all right now, adding support to as many ECUs as possible with the core functions of identifying valid bins, read/write, identify ECU and security negotiation.
I have hundreds of hours of development behind me in PowerPC now, so feel pretty confident in being able to develop for basically any of the E series ECUs except for the E40 (which can die in hell). I even started building a web service to handle the 5byte seed/key stuff in the newer ecus! :thumbup:

But because I have dealt with all kinds of end users with things I provide now, the application needs to be absolutely bullet proof (Or stupid proof?) to minimise chances of bricking an ECU.
Even little things like comparing the bin files OS to the ECUs OS when doing a cal write and indicate if they are different since it could cause issues. Or reading battery voltage before flashing to verify they are not about to try reprogram with something like 10volts.

*Edit
Also, Im about over developing software for private businesses, I want something for the general public.. its been quite a time!
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Image
VX L67 Getrag
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Tazzi, that’s pretty damn awesome of you!

Will it be over internet setup for basic read/write or just a standalone program?
User avatar
Tazzi
Posts: 3626
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
cars: VE SS Ute
Location: WA

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by Tazzi »

VX L67 Getrag wrote:Tazzi, that’s pretty damn awesome of you!

Will it be over internet setup for basic read/write or just a standalone program?
Standalone app, once licensed it doesnt need internet. Maybe only when I get to the 5byte seed/key if automating that which will need internet :thumbup:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Image
User avatar
Tre-Cool
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:17 am
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car
Location: Perth

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by Tre-Cool »

good shit.

if you ever want to have a play on a dyno for your own car, free of charge, let me know.

I work full time in I.T myself in the mining industry, so that pays my bills. I do tuning & mechanical stuff on weekends as a hobby\side venture.

at the moment i've been wiring in a pcs tcm-2600 controller for a 6l80 with an e40 combo. would of been so much easier if they were an e38 in the vz hsv's.

The pcs controller has some cool shit in it though, since it's a universal controller for the gearbox. (i.e use with any engine)
User avatar
Tazzi
Posts: 3626
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
cars: VE SS Ute
Location: WA

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by Tazzi »

Tre-Cool wrote:good shit.

if you ever want to have a play on a dyno for your own car, free of charge, let me know.

I work full time in I.T myself in the mining industry, so that pays my bills. I do tuning & mechanical stuff on weekends as a hobby\side venture.

at the moment i've been wiring in a pcs tcm-2600 controller for a 6l80 with an e40 combo. would of been so much easier if they were an e38 in the vz hsv's.

The pcs controller has some cool shit in it though, since it's a universal controller for the gearbox. (i.e use with any engine)
Thanks mate, we might need to take a look at the T42/T43 stuff when it comes around to that :thumbup:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Image
User avatar
Tazzi
Posts: 3626
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
cars: VE SS Ute
Location: WA

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by Tazzi »

Very unproductive couple days unfortunately due to just standard life, VS IDE has been open the entire time but havent been able to touch a single line of code.
Pretty sure I almost fought someone for ink to suit my printer today since everyone has gone mad from this coronavirus mayhem. :roll:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Image
VX L67 Getrag
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

*nutshell... everyone needs to relax a bit & be considerate to those who need it*

Great work Tazzi with what time you have.
In-Tech
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:35 am
Location: California

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by In-Tech »

Hello folks,
Yeah here in California it is absolutely crazy. Luckily I have a shit ton of canned foods and lot's of other staples. You guys be safe out there.

Back to the thread...I just read out a T87 8spd file if you guys want to have a look. I didn't see anything very useful but maybe you'll see more. How is the vin number derived? I didn't spot that anywhere in the file and would like to edit it before I post.

Code: Select all

000168C0 3821 0040 4E80 0020 4D50 4339 3046 4C42 8!.@N.. MPC90FLB
000168D0 4330 3330 9421 FF20 7C08 02A6 BE01 00A0 C030.!. |.......

00016CE0 4E80 0020 4D50 4339 3046 4C46 4530 3433 N.. MPC90FLFE043

00016FA0 3821 0040 4E80 0020 4D50 4339 3046 4C46 8!.@N.. MPC90FLF
00016FB0 4930 3433 9421 FF50 7C08 02A6 BDC1 0068 I043.!.P|......h

000177A0 3821 0050 4E80 0020 4D50 4339 3046 4C46 8!.PN.. MPC90FLF
000177B0 5030 3433 9421 FF90 7C08 02A6 BE61 003C P043.!..|....a.<

000179C0 7C08 03A6 3821 0050 4E80 0020 4D50 4339 |...8!.PN.. MPC9
000179D0 3046 4C50 5630 3330 9421 FF90 7C08 02A6 0FLPV030.!..|...

00017DA0 4E80 0020 4D50 4339 3046 4C53 4C30 3330 N.. MPC90FLSL030

00017FE0 5438 375F 325F 3132 00FF FFFF FFFF FFFF T87_2_12........

00057FF0 5438 375F 3138 6100 AA55 6699 FFFF FFFF T87_18a..Uf.....

0017BFC0 4543 4D00 2D45 6E67 696E 6543 6F6E 7472 ECM.-EngineContr
0017BFD0 6F6C 0000 5443 4D00 2D54 7261 6E73 6D69 ol..TCM.-Transmi
0017BFE0 7343 7472 6C00 0000 4650 434D 2D46 7565 sCtrl...FPCM-Fue
0017BFF0 6C50 756D 7043 7472 6C00 0000 4850 434D lPumpCtrl...HPCM
0017C000 2D48 7962 7269 6450 7443 7472 6C00 0000 -HybridPtCtrl...
0017C010 4850 4331 2D48 7962 7269 6450 7443 7472 HPC1-HybridPtCtr
0017C020 6C31 0000 4850 4332 2D48 7962 7269 6450 l1..HPC2-HybridP
0017C030 7443 7472 6C32 0000 4354 434D 2D43 6F6F tCtrl2..CTCM-Coo
0017C040 6C61 6E74 5465 6D70 4374 726C 4348 434D lantTempCtrlCHCM
0017C050 2D43 6861 7373 6973 4374 726C 0000 0000 -ChassisCtrl....
0017C060 4649 434D 2D46 7565 6C49 6E6A 436E 7472 FICM-FuelInjCntr
0017C070 6C00 0000 4253 434D 2D42 7261 6B65 5379 l...BSCM-BrakeSy
0017C080 7374 6D43 7472 6C00 4253 4331 2D42 7261 stmCtrl.BSC1-Bra
0017C090 6B65 5379 7374 6D43 7472 6C31 4253 4332 keSystmCtrl1BSC2
0017C0A0 2D42 7261 6B65 5379 7374 6D43 7472 6C32 -BrakeSystmCtrl2
kur4o
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:20 am

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by kur4o »

The vin is in ascii format, if you don`t see it it is not there.

I will be glad to see the file. What model/year t87 is used.
In-Tech
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:35 am
Location: California

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by In-Tech »

Hi Kur4o,
I read it out in efilive and it generated the correct vin number in their software but I don't see a vin number in ascii like I usually see in the .bin file(not efilive file). It is from a 2016 Truck.