VR SS Project

Wiring diagrams and questions
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: VR SS Project

Post by VL400 »

The only way it can be written to is if the CPU commands a write while its selected, with the jumper removed it can command it but wont be able to actually write. With a regular EPROM also going to limp mode it could be the ECU. Is the comms board installed? Try unplugging it if so.
benk
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:58 am
cars: VN V6 Commodore

Re: VR SS Project

Post by benk »

VL400 wrote:The only way it can be written to is if the CPU commands a write while its selected, with the jumper removed it can command it but wont be able to actually write. With a regular EPROM also going to limp mode it could be the ECU. Is the comms board installed? Try unplugging it if so.
Yes it has the comms board installed and did try it with it unplugged and still wiped it. I have got 2 of the modded 808's and both had the same issue and I know one worked fine as I had it on my turbo V6. Either I have stuffed both computers :( or there is something else causing the problem
Have managed to get hold of a VN engine wiring harness and and thinking of trying it....
Have a couple of questions that I'm not sure on as I know there are some differences in the wiring where they plug into the VR body wiring harness. Wondering if anyone knows what the plug pinouts are for both the VN and VR on the 1 near the ECU and the couple near the Relay block in the engine bay?

PS. can't get to the car at the moment to check out the other stuff (flooded in) lol
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: VR SS Project

Post by Holden202T »

i have some wiring digrams here you might be able to work it out with.

http://www.oldholdens.com/temp/carstuff ... 0diagrams/
benk
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:58 am
cars: VN V6 Commodore

Re: VR SS Project

Post by benk »

Yeah, I have those diagrams thanks, but they don't show the actual plugs that I'm talking about so I know what goes where. I have read somewhere that they are pinned differently but couldn't find what or which is pinned differently.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: VR SS Project

Post by antus »

The nvram erasing sounds like a problem with the write pin wiring, or a shorted pin on the nvram. Is the car powered off when you connect it? It sounds like the memcal/eprom might have a different problem, as obviously it cant be erased in the cars ecu.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: VR SS Project

Post by Holden202T »

the diagrams show where there are plugs though so you should be able to work out what it was from colour of the wires.
benk
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:58 am
cars: VN V6 Commodore

Re: VR SS Project

Post by benk »

I disconnect the battery everytime I remove and install the NVRAM
I have used this set up before (ECU and NVRAM) on another engine and didn't have a problem but will take a closer look at the Board and ECU and make sure that nothing has shorted out... when I can get back to it lol. Was heading back there tomorrow but just looking at the road report it looks like I might have to hang around a bit longer as the creeks are comming back up tonight...

Just to confirm.... the write pin is the only way that it can get erased besides a total failure...
Holden202T wrote:the diagrams show where there are plugs though so you should be able to work out what it was from colour of the wires.
Yes but wanted to make sure that they didn't change colours or function's from the VN to VR? I know that there are a few that are different and just didn't want to have any doubt about if it was wired up correctly from the engine harness to the body harness. If worse comes to worse I will just have to trace the wires right through just to make sure....
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: VR SS Project

Post by VL400 »

benk wrote:Just to confirm.... the write pin is the only way that it can get erased besides a total failure...
Yeah some sort of failure may do it too, if the voltage of the ECU is highly unstable it may trash it. But remove the RW jumper/shorting link on the NVRAM board and it will be protected from the CPU writing to it.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: VR SS Project

Post by Holden202T »

are you writing the tune to the right half of the nvram, or stacking it to get it in the right location ?
benk
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:58 am
cars: VN V6 Commodore

Re: VR SS Project

Post by benk »

I'm using a 8000 offset in the burnerm and just burning a single copy. Will post a copy of it when I get a a chance just to make sure I am doing it correctly as I am using a different burner to what I have been using previously