Base Idle Settings

For non EFI mechanical discussion
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Base Idle Settings

Post by Dylan »

Yeah looks like it. Just to cancel out things I'm borrowing a mate's working one, just going to plug it in and watch it move in and out. Hopefully.
The solenoid was new 4 years ago but car has sat for the last 3. Guess it's seized.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Also in diagnostic mode with the engine off it will drive all the way out - the IAC will be commanded to keep driving so if its installed and working you hear a clicking noise as it bottoms out or removed the pintle will go flying.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Thanks mate. Before I removed it I had it in diagnostic mode with engine running it was not extended.
VL400

Post by VL400 »

Try with engine off, it just keeps extending when the engine is off - running it in diagnostic mode it tries to work as normal and control idle.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

So if I leave the solenoid removed and turn the key on, not in diagnostic mode with a working solenoid connected it would over extend and fall apart?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

if you screw it in where it goes and turn the ignition on it should click like vl400 said.

or try pushing it all the way in, put it in its hole, ignition on or even start the car and see if its moves once you remove it.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Yeah sounds easy. I'm convinced the existing one is stuffed, won't extend at all. I will get a new one.
VL400

Post by VL400 »

Engine off and in diagnostic mode it will just extend the pintle out until it goes flying under the nearest bench or hard to reach place :lol: If its installed in the throttle body will continue to extend and just start clicking.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Got another look at it tonight. Diagnostic mode and key on no movement. Removed the solenoid plugged it back in nothing.
I noticed it getting warm. Afterwards I pulled on the shaft with pliers and it moved quite easy so plugged it back in but still no movement.
So pulled a bit more out and it came right out! So I will go get a new one looks like it was NFG!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

... or maybe a wiring issue.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396