Hi guys, after some help setting base idle on my VR 5 litre.
Had a tune done h a reputable and well known person, albeit "mail order" he will fix any problems untill it's right.
Anyway it idling at 1200rpm when cammanded to 1000. So set about setting base idle thought maybe set it to 800 with the butterfly ( tune will lower it when all sorted)
I could not get the idle solenoid to close so it was always open and I think wide open even when unplugged and in diagnostic mode.
I have not contacted him as yet as I don't think its tune related yet.
I have tuner pro 5 I have the BIN file done in $DB but not real time ecu as yet.
All help appreciated.
So is their a procedure to get the iac to retract/ close?
Base Idle Settings
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Base Idle Settings
if you have the ability to log data and see the current IAC steps you can easily set the idle from that.
if not a way I have found that seems to work ok, create a vacuum leak, ie. unplug the fuel pressure reg or the brake booster, this will make the motor suck more air and increase rpms, so then the IAC should close to compensate, then you can disconnect the IAC which hopefully its fully shut so then you can not have it change things, then re-connect vacuum source and then, use a screwdriver to lower the idle via the butterfly stop screw, get it to maybe 100rpm below the desired idle, then when you connect the iac back it should adjust to the right steps to get it working as it should.
you may also have the blip the throttle above 2000rpm to reset the IAC .... if its still idling too high then you have other issues, like faulty IAC or wiring or a vacuum leak etc.
if not a way I have found that seems to work ok, create a vacuum leak, ie. unplug the fuel pressure reg or the brake booster, this will make the motor suck more air and increase rpms, so then the IAC should close to compensate, then you can disconnect the IAC which hopefully its fully shut so then you can not have it change things, then re-connect vacuum source and then, use a screwdriver to lower the idle via the butterfly stop screw, get it to maybe 100rpm below the desired idle, then when you connect the iac back it should adjust to the right steps to get it working as it should.
you may also have the blip the throttle above 2000rpm to reset the IAC .... if its still idling too high then you have other issues, like faulty IAC or wiring or a vacuum leak etc.
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: Base Idle Settings
Thanks mate, I didn't go into to much detail in the above post, to keep it short but also incase I was on the wrong track.
I disconnected the vac hose to the booster rpm increased but solenoid stayed opened.
I am thinking there could be a problem with IAC, but wiring loom is NOS and new idle solenoid and cleaned throttle body.
BUT this was about 4 years ago from fresh motor to being tuned.
It is a VR Commodore with VN ecu. I have an ALDL cable and usb adapter I will post a pic but also look at some theads on here to see if it can help me out.I will alalso contact my tuner for assistance.
Thanks again.
I disconnected the vac hose to the booster rpm increased but solenoid stayed opened.
I am thinking there could be a problem with IAC, but wiring loom is NOS and new idle solenoid and cleaned throttle body.
BUT this was about 4 years ago from fresh motor to being tuned.
It is a VR Commodore with VN ecu. I have an ALDL cable and usb adapter I will post a pic but also look at some theads on here to see if it can help me out.I will alalso contact my tuner for assistance.
Thanks again.
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: Base Idle Settings
Here is my converter it's quite old but I'm waiting on a new SRAM for my Kalmaker ecu then I can go realtine with 12P.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Base Idle Settings
In that case I'd suggest remove the iac and check if it moves with the ignition on and off (don't start the car or it will rev lots!!)
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: Base Idle Settings
I will pull it out, so key off it should retract?
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Base Idle Settings
It resets at key on and off ... You also should be able to move it by hand then turn key on and see if it moves
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: Base Idle Settings
Thanks mate I will look into it tomorrow.
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: Base Idle Settings
Removed the solenoid tonight and found it in this position, turned the key off and on a few times and no movement.
I tried to push it back so more but no movement so looks like its stuck fully retracted.
Looks like its the answer to my 1200 rpm idle and why it wont retract.
I tried to push it back so more but no movement so looks like its stuck fully retracted.
Looks like its the answer to my 1200 rpm idle and why it wont retract.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Base Idle Settings
That's a good sign its not working!!
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread