Lean spot

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Lean spot

Post by Wade »

Could always just go back to basics. First check there isn’t any wideband offset. Remove the wideband o2 sensor out of the exhaust. With it hooked up and data logging in the computer look and see what the wideband gauge is reading vs what’s being logged on the laptop. You can also spray some brake clean on a rag and play with the distance of it to the wideband sensor. Obviously do this with ignition on, but engine not started. If wideband is matching what’s being logged then all good there. When making changes to ve table I like to break it up into sections. Idle, light load/cruise, low/high rpm, wot ect. Tune one area at a time and then move on. If using data logs I set it to running average and I’ll hold that load and rpm cell until everything stabilises and the numbers stops moving around. Hopefully that helps
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Lean spot

Post by Wade »

Oh and make sure you’re always at operating temps. I was talking to vlad the other day about that. Car I’m working on at the moment was around 20% lean on cold start, but pretty much bang on at operating temp. The inverse table fixed the cold start issue. I like to turn off lean cruise and dfco and force open loop ect. Just stop other things from screwing with your ve readings
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Lean spot

Post by Wade »

I also learned ages ago when tuning the ve with large cams, the ve don’t change as much with load as it does for rpm. So on a more wild build I just run it up through the rpm and then select and change all load points at that rpm based on the percentage the afr is out. It’s the fastest way to get a new ve table dialled in fast. It’ll get you most of the way there anyway. Then you can just go through later and focus on ya steady state trying to hit what ever cells you can while taking your time and not worrying about running too lean or fouling plugs ect.
Asho88
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.

Re: Lean spot

Post by Asho88 »

Thank Antus noted will take a bit more time with it. Cheers
Asho88
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.

Re: Lean spot

Post by Asho88 »

Charlescown Yeah the calculator I was using to convert it over was stuffing up so was only changing half of the cells so missed half of it. I did a log today and it seemed to be more in the vicinity thankfully drove a lot nicer to. Need to look at cruise it’s surging a bit haven’t had a chance to look that close at the log cheers.
Asho88
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.

Re: Lean spot

Post by Asho88 »

Thanks wade will look further into whether the sensor is actually working properly though I was having issues with the table I was using to calculate AFRs based off the log since sorting that and adjusting it properly it drove a lot nicer but was starting to get hot. Cheers yeah doing it bit by bit and it is getting nicer to drive and more reliable cheers
Asho88
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.

Re: Lean spot

Post by Asho88 »

Thanks wade will look further into whether the sensor is actually working properly though I was having issues with the table I was using to calculate AFRs based off the log since sorting that and adjusting it properly it drove a lot nicer but was starting to get hot. Cheers yeah doing it bit by bit and it is getting nicer to drive and more reliable cheers