Lean spot

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
Asho88
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.

Lean spot

Post by Asho88 »

Hey guys just after a bit of advice/suggestions I've got my car running pretty well I've been logging and tuning working quite well but I've got just one point in the map that is leaning out on me it's 80 kpa @ 2000rpm which is just as I'm taking off gently and when it's cruising at 80kms - 100kms. It's taken me a bit to pin point so I thought it may be an AE/DE adjustment but kinda rules that out when it does it whilst it's cruising with minimal throttle position changes. It pops out the exhaust very annoying. Cheers
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: Lean spot

Post by Charlescrown »

Exhaust poping is usually an indication of lean. I'd work on increasing the VE around that area and see what happens. Maybe post your bin and a log.
Asho88
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.

Re: Lean spot

Post by Asho88 »

Yeah I can see in the log that it's leaning out just not sure why in the log the average is ok but it's hitting a lean spot. Attached one of my most recent bins and the log from a 1/2 hour trip home cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Asho88
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.

Re: Lean spot

Post by Asho88 »

So playing around I noticed the calculator wasn't quite right I've had a few issues with it but thought I had it right anyway it's right now so I just took another quick log and I'll try again. Cheers
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Lean spot

Post by delcowizzid »

Pops out the exhaust are normally rich pops .it may be too rich in that spot and will missfire and read lean on a wideband
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Asho88
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.

Re: Lean spot

Post by Asho88 »

Cheers mate been playing with the fuel map it’s getting better. Cheers
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: Lean spot

Post by Charlescrown »

I think your program may be corrupted. Looking at the VE table it has quiet a few scattered illogical data. Maybe it's me or my 12P. Hope someone else chimes in. Perhaps copy and paste what the VE shows at your end.
Asho88
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.

Re: Lean spot

Post by Asho88 »

I'll check that out I was having issues with the wideband converter. Cheers
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10013
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: Lean spot

Post by antus »

It'll get like that if you only use histograms and feed it straight in. Its better for you to use histogram for an idea what area needs work, but apply the changes by hand to keep it reasonably smooth. You may have a little peak or trough because of the engine hardware properties, but in general it wont have extreme changes. Generally when you identify a bad area, you'll apply a change to the exact cell based on what you have calculated and then smooth it in to the neighboring cells manually. In tunerpro you can use the 3d view (right click or click and mouse to rotate it to get the right view) then you can grab the neighbouring cells dots and visually put them where they need to be. Generally easier than typeing in all the numbers. Just remember to hit save once the data looks right, and have realtime on or hit upload to get the changes to the car.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: Lean spot

Post by Charlescrown »

Just had a quick look at your log and it's running super lean everywhere. Usually if alls well it should be hitting around 800mv and actively switching. Also there is a lot of knock being recorded. My gut feeling is running very lean. Also your wideband graph almost looks fake with such beaut straight lines.