VORTEC Black Box loading in Universal Patcher

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10012
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: VORTEC Black Box loading in Universal Patcher

Post by antus »

It looks like joukoy has put those xmls in the universal patcher beta at https://universalpatcher.net/download/ so you can use that beta if you have any trouble.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
barnfind
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:41 pm
cars: 34 Chevy, 33Chevy, 66 Nova, 37Chevy

Re: VORTEC Black Box loading in Universal Patcher

Post by barnfind »

antus wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2026 10:27 am It looks like joukoy has put those xmls in the universal patcher beta at https://universalpatcher.net/download/ so you can use that beta if you have any trouble.
You guys are great..I was able to work with the bin. Thank You!
CDNL
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2026 9:24 pm

Re: VORTEC Black Box loading in Universal Patcher

Post by CDNL »

Hi, I have a blackbox pcm OSID 9365095 Service # 9366810. The pcm is from a 1998 5.0 L vortec. I was able to download the Bin with PCM Hammer, now I'm looking to find an xml or xdf file to load the file onto Universal Patcher or TunerPro. So far I've had no luck. Does anyone know where I can get either of the files?

I intend to swap the 1996 4.3 L V6 vortec that is currently in my truck with the 5.0 L motor ( why? because the motor is free and a push every 90 degrees should be better than one every 120 degrees) and then try different tunes to see how the motor reacts.
barnfind
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:41 pm
cars: 34 Chevy, 33Chevy, 66 Nova, 37Chevy

Re: VORTEC Black Box loading in Universal Patcher

Post by barnfind »

CDNL wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2026 4:34 pm Hi, I have a blackbox pcm OSID 9365095 Service # 9366810. The pcm is from a 1998 5.0 L vortec. I was able to download the Bin with PCM Hammer, now I'm looking to find an xml or xdf file to load the file onto Universal Patcher or TunerPro. So far I've had no luck. Does anyone know where I can get either of the files?

I intend to swap the 1996 4.3 L V6 vortec that is currently in my truck with the 5.0 L motor ( why? because the motor is free and a push every 90 degrees should be better than one every 120 degrees) and then try different tunes to see how the motor reacts.
[/quote


What works for me is download PCMHammer 2.0 (not 021), then download the Universal Patcher "BETA" which is Ver 0.23.4.0. (Don't use the later version which is actually Ver 0.23.3.0) Those two early versions work great for my 1999 VORTEC Black Box.
CDNL
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2026 9:24 pm

Re: VORTEC Black Box loading in Universal Patcher

Post by CDNL »

Hey Barnfind, thanks for responding. I'm not sure what version of PMHammer I have. When I open PCMHammer it doesn't show the viersion, see attached file. I downloaded both files from GitHub, I assume they are the latest version. Regarding Universal Patcher I believe I have the beta version, the file I downloaded was "Universal Patcher- BETA. I have also attached the bin file, would you be able to check if it loads on your software. Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
barnfind
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:41 pm
cars: 34 Chevy, 33Chevy, 66 Nova, 37Chevy

Re: VORTEC Black Box loading in Universal Patcher

Post by barnfind »

CDNL wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2026 11:55 pm Hey Barnfind, thanks for responding. I'm not sure what version of PMHammer I have. When I open PCMHammer it doesn't show the viersion, see attached file. I downloaded both files from GitHub, I assume they are the latest version. Regarding Universal Patcher I believe I have the beta version, the file I downloaded was "Universal Patcher- BETA. I have also attached the bin file, would you be able to check if it loads on your software. Thanks in advance.
Can't read it, you must have used the latest version of PCMHammer 021, you need to use PCMHammer 2.00. With the black box use the older versions of PCMHammer and the older Universal Patcher.

Site Admin antus set me straight; Here is the BETA link: https://universalpatcher.net/download/

Tried to attach PCMHammer 2.00
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10012
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: VORTEC Black Box loading in Universal Patcher

Post by antus »

That is a non-versioned test build from github, created on 2026-02-19 at 12:49 am (probably by me after a late night coding session). It's a fair bit newer than 2.00-preview, which is obsolete and is no longer available and should not be used. 2.00-preview was only ever for testing, not for general use.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
barnfind
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:41 pm
cars: 34 Chevy, 33Chevy, 66 Nova, 37Chevy

Re: VORTEC Black Box loading in Universal Patcher

Post by barnfind »

antus wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2026 2:09 am That is a non-versioned test build from github, created on 2026-02-19 at 12:49 am (probably by me after a late night coding session). It's a fair bit newer than 2.00-preview, which is obsolete and is no longer available and should not be used. 2.00-preview was only ever for testing, not for general use.

OK...during a previous post you suggested I try it, (I did) it works great for my 1999 black box?
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10012
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: VORTEC Black Box loading in Universal Patcher

Post by antus »

yes it 2026-02-19 works for blackbox and it has the fix that you or someone else asked for, to do with the obdlink and checksums.
2.00-preview is very old, I dont know what works and what doesnt in that version and I have no plans to figure it out.
I have questions about E54 in 2026-02-19 but I know black box support is solid.
When there is a new official release everything that it supports will be solid in an official build.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
CDNL
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2026 9:24 pm

Re: VORTEC Black Box loading in Universal Patcher

Post by CDNL »

I tried reading the pcm with PCM Hammer 2 and got the expected result. See attached file.
I believe that each os needs an XML file unique to that os in order for Universal Patcher to be able to display the data.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.