Vlad's rides thread
-
HQ355
- Posts: 1217
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
- cars: HQ Holden
Re: Vlad's rides thread
Looking good shags
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Vlad's rides thread
yeah the arp bolts are good 
do you have one of the ring compressors with the flat straps you ratchet up to tighten ? I've found with them you need to get the bottom of it just below the oil ring, then tighten as much as you can, then get it in the bore and tape around the top of the whole compressor to make sure all of it is right up to the bore before tapping it in.
do you have one of the ring compressors with the flat straps you ratchet up to tighten ? I've found with them you need to get the bottom of it just below the oil ring, then tighten as much as you can, then get it in the bore and tape around the top of the whole compressor to make sure all of it is right up to the bore before tapping it in.
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vlad's rides thread
Thats what I have been doing. The little ratchet thing on it is kinds between 2 teeth, so it means I have to keep it tight by hand while I tap it in.
Just a question, how critical is the locations of the ring gaps in relation to the piston? I found the rings move around in the process of tightening the compressor. I can see after the gaps have moved by the oil streak left in the bore.
on the 2nd piston its moved by about 15º. Is that ok?
I noticed the factory engines have the gaps pretty much random, more than often lined up lol
Just a question, how critical is the locations of the ring gaps in relation to the piston? I found the rings move around in the process of tightening the compressor. I can see after the gaps have moved by the oil streak left in the bore.
on the 2nd piston its moved by about 15º. Is that ok?
I noticed the factory engines have the gaps pretty much random, more than often lined up lol
-
jenko
- Posts: 450
- Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:43 am
- cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon - Location: Pine mountain .vic
Re: Vlad's rides thread
best to try and get the ring gaps opposite each other at the gudgeon pin( least piston rock area). oil control 30deg apart
so I go for top at front second at rear oil control at front .
but i wouldn't be doing them again for 15 deg.But then that depends on how ocd you are
so I go for top at front second at rear oil control at front .
but i wouldn't be doing them again for 15 deg.But then that depends on how ocd you are
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Vlad's rides thread
yeah im similar, just trying to keep the gaps away from the wear sides..... also depends on the motor too, but also try to keep the gap away from hot exhaust ports etc.
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vlad's rides thread
jenko wrote:best to try and get the ring gaps opposite each other at the gudgeon pin( least piston rock area). oil control 30deg apart
so I go for top at front second at rear oil control at front .
but i wouldn't be doing them again for 15 deg.But then that depends on how ocd you are
yeah that ocd, its playing on me haha.
Im just following the workshop manual for the gap location. they just oppose each other. The manual says to set them at 90º from the pin with the oil rings and lower comp ring away from the trust side, top ring is to the trust side but its a really thin ring compared to the lower one.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Vlad's rides thread
I think its one of those things, every man and his dog have there own opinions on whats best, so just do what works best for your OCD 
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vlad's rides thread
I couldn't help it, had to pull that one out again and rotate them a bit.
Happy now!
Just set it at TDC to see what the deck height was like, more for curiosity than anything. Measured 0.008" Thats pretty small lol.
Happy now!
Just set it at TDC to see what the deck height was like, more for curiosity than anything. Measured 0.008" Thats pretty small lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Vlad's rides thread
that's not that different to the .01 I have for a stock VR v6 though ?
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
ejukated
- Posts: 426
- Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:52 am
Re: Vlad's rides thread
L67 overdrive balancer? Got bigger plans?