DELCOing a Meyers Manx Buggy (VW 1800)
-
Early 56 EFI
- Posts: 59
- Joined: Thu May 28, 2020 11:57 am
- cars: 56 FJ Holden
86 Corvette
80 Caddy Limo
03 Dodge Ram Cummins
68 Galaxie 390
94 Mustang GT Conv - Location: Briar Hill Vic
Re: DELCOing a Meyers Manx Buggy (VW 1800)
In the throws of delco efi on a type 3 sedan. What did you do for the VSS conversion. Do you have any circuits .
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8548
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: DELCOing a Meyers Manx Buggy (VW 1800)
Years ago I'd seen some use a trigger wheel sandwiched between the CV and the CV bolt heads and a bracket on I think the clutch cable mount? to hold a generic reluctor sensor, maybe it was a hall, not sure? and they fed that to a megasquirt.
In the case of the Delco, VDO made a signal convertor/ratio adjustment box that does 100% with the Delco. I have one of those units on my Holden since I changed the diff ratio, but the important thing that makes it work properly is it has a jumper to tell the output to not only be square waves, but to drive the wave at the supply voltage level which is exactly what the Delco wants, basically a 12V square wave. The VDO unit will convert freely from reluctor to digital wave and back without an issue and the dip switches allow fine grain speed adjustment to suit what ever signal rate you have to suit your ECU.
Iirc, they are called the VDO ratio box. Not cheap and very obscure to find on the net, but they def do exist.
If you have swing axle, maybe some ABS type setup on the wheel hub or even one of the front wheels, or something on the speedo cable, which I am sure also exists as a product for the VW.
In the case of the Delco, VDO made a signal convertor/ratio adjustment box that does 100% with the Delco. I have one of those units on my Holden since I changed the diff ratio, but the important thing that makes it work properly is it has a jumper to tell the output to not only be square waves, but to drive the wave at the supply voltage level which is exactly what the Delco wants, basically a 12V square wave. The VDO unit will convert freely from reluctor to digital wave and back without an issue and the dip switches allow fine grain speed adjustment to suit what ever signal rate you have to suit your ECU.
Iirc, they are called the VDO ratio box. Not cheap and very obscure to find on the net, but they def do exist.
If you have swing axle, maybe some ABS type setup on the wheel hub or even one of the front wheels, or something on the speedo cable, which I am sure also exists as a product for the VW.
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: DELCOing a Meyers Manx Buggy (VW 1800)
You can get away without a VSS there's from memory 2 things to turn off in 12P. I have a Starion without a VSS and it works fine. If you want the info I'm sure it's in my notes.
-
Early 56 EFI
- Posts: 59
- Joined: Thu May 28, 2020 11:57 am
- cars: 56 FJ Holden
86 Corvette
80 Caddy Limo
03 Dodge Ram Cummins
68 Galaxie 390
94 Mustang GT Conv - Location: Briar Hill Vic
Re: DELCOing a Meyers Manx Buggy (VW 1800)
Vlad01 and Charlescrown, thank you for your input, I will follow this up.