Couldn't be sure on that never done a back to back. I'd guess with good cubes the come would be better.
But a harrop or torue power dueal plane are nothing to be shy about either very good bits of gear.
Thermostats
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Thermostats
Standard banana manifolds run really hot regardless. Seeing intake temps in the 80-90° C here in NZ where it's slightly cooler.
With my mates 355 that i've been tuning at the strip seeing AIT's of about 90° sitting in the staging lanes (worst case) with it dropping once it gets some airflow going down the strip. Best we saw on that day was about 60° C. If I remember correctly the AIT's were fairly close to the ECT's. I'd throw a 180° F thermostat in it.
Because the plenum is at the bottom of the valley in these manifolds they heat soak very quickly.
With my mates 355 that i've been tuning at the strip seeing AIT's of about 90° sitting in the staging lanes (worst case) with it dropping once it gets some airflow going down the strip. Best we saw on that day was about 60° C. If I remember correctly the AIT's were fairly close to the ECT's. I'd throw a 180° F thermostat in it.
Because the plenum is at the bottom of the valley in these manifolds they heat soak very quickly.
-
HQ355
- Posts: 1217
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
- cars: HQ Holden
Re: Thermostats
That wasy thinking, if I went to a torque power manifold or similar how would that affect torque ? Would it loose, compared to the bannanas ?
-
VK_3800
- Posts: 578
- Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 am
- cars: SS Torana
- Location: NZ
Re: Thermostats
That's what it should have anyway, if the temp never goes above 92 when sitting/idling there's nothing wrong with that. If it doesn't drop down to thermostat temp (82c) when driving though maybe it needs replacing. With thermostats these days you never really know whether its fully open when it should be, worth testing in a pot before installing to make sure its where it should be. Can be 5-10 degree variations and some take longer to open fully than others.immortality wrote:I'd throw a 180° F thermostat in it.
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Thermostats
He said it sits at 92° all day, I take that to mean that is the minimum temp once the thermostat is open. Standard thermostat is 190°F/89°C ? so that would be within tolerance I guess.
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: Thermostats
I'd say peak torque would be up maybe even a fatter curve but slightly higher rpm range.HQ355 wrote:That wasy thinking, if I went to a torque power manifold or similar how would that affect torque ? Would it loose, compared to the bannanas ?
There's plenty of throttle body options to suit them. Some even have the injectors in it to look like a carby great for a HQ.
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Thermostats
It would be interesting to see a back to back test banana Vs TP or Harrop dual plane manifold.
I too think you will see slightly less torque where the banana's is optimised with it's extremely long runners but the TP will give a fatter torque curve higher up the rpm band.
Would require a fair few tuning changes I bet.
I'm still of two minds about my Senator, stick with the banana's or go TP or Harrop with 1000cfm TB on top and big filter out the bonnet
I too think you will see slightly less torque where the banana's is optimised with it's extremely long runners but the TP will give a fatter torque curve higher up the rpm band.
Would require a fair few tuning changes I bet.
I'm still of two minds about my Senator, stick with the banana's or go TP or Harrop with 1000cfm TB on top and big filter out the bonnet
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Thermostats
standard stat Im sure is 195F which is 91c roughly.
-
The1
- Posts: 4852
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am
-
HQ355
- Posts: 1217
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
- cars: HQ Holden
Re: Thermostats
Ok, so no one is realy saying to put a lower temp thermostat in so i'l just go ahead with the thermo fans, how much kw roughly do you gain from going from mech to electric fans ? I have the VT 220 kw badges on my motor and that's what I want ! Except mine will be at the wheels