VORTEC Black Box loading in Universal Patcher

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
sparepartsblazer
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:18 am
Location: Missouri

Re: VORTEC Black Box loading in Universal Patcher

Post by sparepartsblazer »

CDNL wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2026 2:59 am I tried reading the pcm with PCM Hammer 2 and got the expected result. See attached file.
I believe that each os needs an XML file unique to that os in order for Universal Patcher to be able to display the data.

I didnt have that os to make make and xml for. Ill check it out.
sparepartsblazer
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:18 am
Location: Missouri

Re: VORTEC Black Box loading in Universal Patcher

Post by sparepartsblazer »

I had a quick look. It doesnt match one of my other xmls. Might be awhile before I have time to sit down and match all the tables up.
sparepartsblazer
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:18 am
Location: Missouri

Re: VORTEC Black Box loading in Universal Patcher

Post by sparepartsblazer »

CDNL wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2026 4:34 pm Hi, I have a blackbox pcm OSID 9365095 Service # 9366810. The pcm is from a 1998 5.0 L vortec. I was able to download the Bin with PCM Hammer, now I'm looking to find an xml or xdf file to load the file onto Universal Patcher or TunerPro. So far I've had no luck. Does anyone know where I can get either of the files?

I intend to swap the 1996 4.3 L V6 vortec that is currently in my truck with the 5.0 L motor ( why? because the motor is free and a push every 90 degrees should be better than one every 120 degrees) and then try different tunes to see how the motor reacts.
Here is the bin for a 5.0 with an OS that you can work with in Universal Patcher.
1998 305 Auto WT Stock .bin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sparepartsblazer
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:18 am
Location: Missouri

Re: VORTEC Black Box loading in Universal Patcher

Post by sparepartsblazer »

CDNL wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2026 4:34 pm Hi, I have a blackbox pcm OSID 9365095 Service # 9366810. The pcm is from a 1998 5.0 L vortec. I was able to download the Bin with PCM Hammer, now I'm looking to find an xml or xdf file to load the file onto Universal Patcher or TunerPro. So far I've had no luck. Does anyone know where I can get either of the files?

I intend to swap the 1996 4.3 L V6 vortec that is currently in my truck with the 5.0 L motor ( why? because the motor is free and a push every 90 degrees should be better than one every 120 degrees) and then try different tunes to see how the motor reacts.
If your truck is a 96 the 98 ecm WILL NOT work without some wiring changes. At that point might as well just use the P01 0411
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10012
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: VORTEC Black Box loading in Universal Patcher

Post by antus »

That file is OSID 16263425 which is the universal patcher beta. https://universalpatcher.net/download/
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
CDNL
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2026 9:24 pm

Re: VORTEC Black Box loading in Universal Patcher

Post by CDNL »

Hey, Sparepartsblazer, thanks for sharing the bin file, very much appreciated. I loaded it onto Universal Patcher Beta and was able to work with it ok.
One other thing that I forgot to mention is, that my truck is standard, if that makes a difference.
Also, I'm curious to see what the factory tune looks like, so that I have something to compare to and a base from which to work with.
Going from a 96 V6 to a 98 V8 will require some wiring changes that's part of the challenge for me. I understand that using a p01 0411 is the tried and true way. But I'm like the little kid that would rather walk through a mud hole than walk on a clean sidewalk.
Thanks to Sparepartsblazer and antus for your response.