Vlad's rides thread

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

several hours of literally getting down and dirty (and agonizing burning of eyes and lungs) the car is nice a clean, free of oil, grease and dirt.

not much left to uninstall before I get out the old acetone, rags and chemical mask.
IMG_1408_zpszgf1yrn3.jpg
IMG_1409_zpsyi8ld6xp.jpg
only wax was keeping the paint intact. Strong cleaner shows the paint for what is remaining of it.
IMG_1410_zpspa8mj3su.jpg
brake fluid carnage. At least its not rusty :?:
IMG_1411_zps9rw9k3fb.jpg
IMG_1412_zpsnuebwmow.jpg
more brake fluid stripping action.
IMG_1413_zpsrvgpvmww.jpg
one of the hardest parts to fully de-comtaminiate is the bonnet lock. I did a great job (as viewed from the inside)
IMG_1414_zpsbikbiume.jpg
Chassis rail, was a challenge but got it clean. I leanred from few projects ago, grease, oil and crap in here will seap out of the seems outside and stuff all changes to do any prep or painting work. So I spend good effort here to make sure its 100% clean like the rest of the car.
Zoom in and you can see the squeakiness.
IMG_1415_zps9azids7b.jpg
IMG_1416_zps52knpzp8.jpg
IMG_1417_zpsqwwoepig.jpg
Underneath
IMG_1418_zpsacs8xkrv.jpg
IMG_1419_zps9h7nhord.jpg
IMG_1420_zpswhtveahn.jpg
only 30 sec exposure to the degreaser. this paint is stuffed. The areas not exposed to the sun showed no change in shine but the exposed areas went instantly to chalk powder.
IMG_1421_zpsc8btz0qk.jpg

Back inside. Just have to do the bonnet at some stage.
IMG_1422_zpsnvex2coz.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ejukated
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:52 am

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by ejukated »

Looks amazing! What did you use to clean it?
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

first normal engine degreaser, the solvent based stuff in the aerosol can, then alkaline water based engine degeaser. Very similar to the POR15 "marine clean" or KBS "aqua blast" but you can buy it in various brands at most auto shops as a bulk water based engine degreaser, has virtually the same ingrediance as the KBS and POR15 water based prep wash.

The latest stuff is "workshop" brand, 5L bottle. Its ingredient is sodium hydroxide and alkaline salts. most are just alkaline salts so this one was extra nasty.

I used a pressure cleaner with turbo head to blast the fuck out of everything.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by immortality »

I always wash down with water after working on the brake system even if I haven't split any brake fluid. Better safe than sorry....
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

Progress progress!
IMG_1444_zpsuan6lhfy.jpg
IMG_1445_zpsyxaclrnc.jpg
IMG_1446_zpsszbjhuxf.jpg
IMG_1448_zpsfyfunevm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by HQ355 »

Bout time you pulled your finger out ! Lol
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by Holden202T »

lol
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

HQ355 wrote:Bout time you pulled your finger out ! Lol

what you talking about? this is the easy quick part! drive train took several 100 to a few 1000 hours to do I'll have you know, I had to sacrifice having a life to get this far lol
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by HQ355 »

Get off the keyboard and get out in the shed ! Pull your finger out !
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

keyboard time is on company time :lol:

anyway, how long did your car take to finish? was it 7 years I recall?

On other news I bit the bullet and bought 2 Athlon XP 3200s and a Tyan dual CPU socket A server board for an old school gaming rig. The board doesn't officially support XP series CPUs but from what I read it seems to work, worst case I can buy some Athlon MPs instead for what the board is designed for.

Seems impossible to find any 6800 Ultra card on AGP let along PC versions? like since when did the torrent of Mac versions of these card come from?

I know you can flash the bion on the card to change them if the hardware is physically the same but all I find is dumb asses wanting to flash PC card to Mac versions not the other way around?

Anyway I found a cheap MSI 6800GT in AGP which would work well, 16 cores by today's terminology. The called them pixel pipe lines back then and shaders. Much better than the 8 my old 6600GT had back in the day.

Does anyone have an old beige server case? or at least one that takes E-ATX boards?