FX Holden Race Car Project

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Holden202T »

So while I was waiting on the correct diff mounting plates to arrive I started working on making the front chassis rails, I've got it roughly worked out, needs a few tweaks on the angle for the part where the crossmember mounts, but should be good, and once I get the rear end back on the ground i'll be alble to do a bit more on it ie removing the front end and such.
P1130546.jpg
P1130547.jpg
So last night the diff plates were waiting for me at the front door! :) so the front chassis rails got pushed to the side so I could get it all happening :punk:

needless to say I'm very excited!
P1130542.jpg
P1130543.jpg
P1130545.jpg
Next step will be to make some bars to go in place of the coil overs to get the right ride height then put some wheels on and see how it all sits in the guard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Holden202T »

Made up some 25mm square tube coil overs to hold the car up so I could get an idea of how it sits, its definitely nice and low, I plan on a slightly larger slick so it will help a bit, but will need to see how it all sits with the engine and such in it and go from there.
WP_20161101_21_16_03_Pro.jpg
WP_20161101_21_17_01_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Charlescrown »

Looking real good. You have lots of room to fit a huge set of slicks in there. I still have some concern about the lateral bar rose joint not being mounted for full vertical movement. I even had a look on their website and it's the same in their sample pic as you have it. I suppose it's all to do with how much vertical movement the suspension will have. Any thoughts on the spring rates for the coil-overs and the shock damper rates? This part becomes a real science sorting it out for best traction under acceleration.
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Charlescrown »

Oh another question is the long wheel studs. Is that a requirement for drag racing or do you plan to use spacers to get the wheels positioned where you want them?
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Holden202T »

I have no idea on the spring rates, I'm hoping that they can suggest where to start with it.... as for the vertical movement, the goal is zero squat or lift on launch so I guess it shouldn't matter too much if its all working properly!

the wheel studs they like to see them past the end of the wheel nut, it just happens that the ARP studs for commodore are that long, I could cut them off, but they aren't far enough out to really be an issue. they are 3 inches long, and the fronts are 2.5, they are only just longer than the wheel nut so I guess its just how it works out!
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by VL400 »

Looking good, sits nicely at that ride height.

Plenty of room to shorten up the diff and get some big boots under the rear guards!
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Holden202T »

Got stuck into the front chassis rails, they are tack welded in so I could dummy up the front end and see how it all sits!
P1130556.JPG
P1130561.JPG
I then got it out in the sun so I could sweep out the shed, geez some crap came out of this car!
P1130562.JPG
P1130563.JPG
P1130564.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Charlescrown »

So is the theory behind the full chassis to prevent the car from bending or is there other performance advantages? What is the expected end weight?
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by vlad01 »

Its to stop it twisting in half at the cost of added weight. The FX has a piss weak chassis and body design.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Holden202T »

Yeah pretty much what vlad said, also alot of the original stuff was rusted, so adding some strength back and will tie the roll cage into these new bits