T5 shifter?

For non EFI mechanical discussion
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: T5 shifter?

Post by vlad01 »

Im referring to physical weight of the shifter above the pivot point. That adds to the inertia which helps give momentum and dampening when slipping into gear.

This is something I might play with by pouring lead shot in to the shifter tube, which happens to be hollow. I can calculate approximately what ratio the weight needs to increase by looking at % change of the shifter ratio.

Might be a good excuse to go to pick a part and pick some gear knobs of different weights.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: T5 shifter?

Post by immortality »

I'm fairly sure the shifter shaft on my VN was solid steel and fairly heavy at that. I retained the factory shifter shaft and knob so the only thing changed with my was the shifter pivot.

Another way to compensate would be to fit a slightly longer shifter shaft.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: T5 shifter?

Post by vlad01 »

They are hollow with rubber in the bottom half for dampening. They are not heavy at all. Lot of OEM these days deliberately weight the knobs, typically around 200-300g
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: T5 shifter?

Post by immortality »

vlad01 wrote:They are hollow with rubber in the bottom half for dampening. They are not heavy at all. Lot of OEM these days deliberately weight the knobs, typically around 200-300g
I don't remember mine having rubber on it full stop. I think I might still have one lying in the garage, if I find it I'll confirm.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: T5 shifter?

Post by vlad01 »

all mine are rubber filled. I had them sand blasted and you could see the rubber at the bottom of the tube.
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: T5 shifter?

Post by HQ355 »

I'd say all Holden floor shifters have the rubber in them, Aussie 4 speed onwards did and the original shifter on my t-56 did before I put the hurst on. I wonder if the rubber is to dampen or soften the hammering on the stops if you drive a bit on the spirited side
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: T5 shifter?

Post by Dylan »

I made a stick and knob all out of stainless. Plenty of weight. No rubber filled either.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: T5 shifter?

Post by vlad01 »

HQ355 wrote:I'd say all Holden floor shifters have the rubber in them, Aussie 4 speed onwards did and the original shifter on my t-56 did before I put the hurst on. I wonder if the rubber is to dampen or soften the hammering on the stops if you drive a bit on the spirited side
For dampening, there is give when you push hard on them. Also I can hear the hissing sound of the teeth come from the stick and knob so that would dampen it some. The sound would be louder if its solid I reckon.
VK_3800
Posts: 578
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 am
cars: SS Torana
Location: NZ

Re: T5 shifter?

Post by VK_3800 »

^ Dampening makes it wet, damping reduces vibration...

Some places make proper weighted knobs, often as part of the whole shifter package so they're nicely balanced. I made a knob out of an old tow ball for the TKO!
Chuff
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:28 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: T5 shifter?

Post by Chuff »

vlad01 wrote: For dampening, there is give when you push hard on them.
VK_3800 wrote: ^ Dampening makes it wet, damping reduces vibration...
That's not to say Vlad is incorrect. It all depends in the subject matter. ;)
˙ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ǝsǝuıɥɔ ɐ ƃuıʎnq ɹoɟ ʇɥƃıɹ ǝɯ sǝʌɹǝs