another Alfa Romeo conversion
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: another Alfa Romeo conversion
Nice work 
-
festy
- Posts: 1039
- Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
- cars: Alfa Romeos
- Location: Narellan, NSW
Re: another Alfa Romeo conversion
There was no solution I could see to the tb clearance issue, so on to plan B...
Still a lot more welding to do, but it's taking shape. It uses the commodore TB, so hopefully it'll breathe ok.
It also lines up well with the air duct at the front, and will make any future forced induction plans a bit easier too.
It also lines up well with the air duct at the front, and will make any future forced induction plans a bit easier too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
festy
- Posts: 1039
- Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
- cars: Alfa Romeos
- Location: Narellan, NSW
Re: another Alfa Romeo conversion
I just need to tap a hole for the IAT sensor, and the plenum is finished apart from a bit of a clean up.
The Commodore tb is a fair bit larger, left to right is the original Solex, an N13 Pulsar, and Commodore.
And plenty of room for the fuel rail too. I'm still working out the clamping arrangement, but think I'm close. I attacked my ecu with a hot glue gun to keep the USB board out of harm's way and mucked around with the USB UART's flash a bit more, so XP now sees my ECU as: (just in case I forget what the big silver box my laptop is plugged into is
)
So not a lot of progress lately, but still slowly chipping away at the to-do list...
And plenty of room for the fuel rail too. I'm still working out the clamping arrangement, but think I'm close. I attacked my ecu with a hot glue gun to keep the USB board out of harm's way and mucked around with the USB UART's flash a bit more, so XP now sees my ECU as: (just in case I forget what the big silver box my laptop is plugged into is
So not a lot of progress lately, but still slowly chipping away at the to-do list...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
festy
- Posts: 1039
- Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
- cars: Alfa Romeos
- Location: Narellan, NSW
Re: another Alfa Romeo conversion
I finished machining the injector bosses and welded up my fuel rail, I was running out of time so rushing a bit at the end... and welded the last one on upside down
and that end is about .2mm too wide to seal the injector o-ring.
So unless I can get hold of some oversize o rings, I'll have to cut it off and make a new one.
Apart from that minor detail, it seems to fit pretty well. It bowed a little during the welding, but I should be able to pull most of that out when I weld the clamp tabs on if I plan it right. I really should tidy up the engine bay if I'm going to keep posting pics of it
I looked around for a set of plugs for the D1927A module, but it was going to cost me $100 so I bought a $5 pack of single header crimp plugs from jaycar. They seem to be a good fit, and if they move I'll just fill the plug holes with epoxy or something
So unless I can get hold of some oversize o rings, I'll have to cut it off and make a new one.
Apart from that minor detail, it seems to fit pretty well. It bowed a little during the welding, but I should be able to pull most of that out when I weld the clamp tabs on if I plan it right. I really should tidy up the engine bay if I'm going to keep posting pics of it
I looked around for a set of plugs for the D1927A module, but it was going to cost me $100 so I bought a $5 pack of single header crimp plugs from jaycar. They seem to be a good fit, and if they move I'll just fill the plug holes with epoxy or something
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: another Alfa Romeo conversion
i can tell ya now my attention is fixed on the new bits, not the background mess!
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
v6bucket
- Posts: 768
- Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:02 am
Re: another Alfa Romeo conversion
What size is the N13 Pulsar throttle body?
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
-
festy
- Posts: 1039
- Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
- cars: Alfa Romeos
- Location: Narellan, NSW
Re: another Alfa Romeo conversion
60mm bore, but tapers down to about 45mm at the throttle plate.v6bucket wrote:What size is the N13 Pulsar throttle body?
-
BradGTV
- Posts: 27
- Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:21 am
- cars: 79' + 83' + 85' alfa romeo gtv's
Re: another Alfa Romeo conversion
regarding d1927a ignition module plugs, is it true that for the 2 pin plug (power and earth) i can use just the power terminal and let the module earth through the base?
-
Jayme
- Posts: 2585
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
- Location: North Coast, NSW
Re: another Alfa Romeo conversion
according to the multimeter and diagram = yes... we just took a small and a big spade lug and hooked both up anyway, then black silicon down the hole.
-
festy
- Posts: 1039
- Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
- cars: Alfa Romeos
- Location: Narellan, NSW
Re: another Alfa Romeo conversion
Damn, 3 weeks since my last update, and I don't have much to show for it - too distracted playing with dash clusters and things 
I got stooged on ebay again - this time it was for a BF fuel pressure regulator that never turnes up. Between that and the injectors, I've wasted 5 weeks sitting around waiting for parts to arrive that were never sent. So now I'm looking for another one, and still chasing my $6 refund.
I've had all sorts of dramas capping the ends of my fuel rail. My first attempt was to turn up some hose barbs on the lathe, but as soon as I tried to weld them on, they collapsed.
Next I tried drilling and tapping some 20x20x5 plate to take a 5/16-1/8 npt barb, and proceeded to melt that while trying to weld it on.
3rd time lucky, today I made up some new caps and got them on without destroying anything else.
So as soon as I sorg out another regulator, I can see whether this damn fuel rail seals
properly or not.
I got stooged on ebay again - this time it was for a BF fuel pressure regulator that never turnes up. Between that and the injectors, I've wasted 5 weeks sitting around waiting for parts to arrive that were never sent. So now I'm looking for another one, and still chasing my $6 refund.
I've had all sorts of dramas capping the ends of my fuel rail. My first attempt was to turn up some hose barbs on the lathe, but as soon as I tried to weld them on, they collapsed.
Next I tried drilling and tapping some 20x20x5 plate to take a 5/16-1/8 npt barb, and proceeded to melt that while trying to weld it on.
3rd time lucky, today I made up some new caps and got them on without destroying anything else.
So as soon as I sorg out another regulator, I can see whether this damn fuel rail seals
properly or not.