Muncies vy Turbo v6

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Muncies vy Turbo v6

Post by immortality »

Muncie wrote: Mon Jan 12, 2026 12:12 am I only got as far as a Paris Hilton tune "rich and retarded" I tried copying over L67 timing tables it didn't perform that well at all absolutely asthmatic compared to stock with timing pulled under boost I might revisit again as this was over 13 months ago now im more comfortable with tunerpro and things in general.
You'd only want the lower rpm stuff.

What cam/timing set did you use?
User avatar
Muncie
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:15 am
cars: Vy commodore, Turbo Ecotec v6
Location: New Zealand Waikato

Re: Muncies vy Turbo v6

Post by Muncie »

I used The L67 Cam i just found christmas a shit time to build an engine as i intended to do a cam, went with Double row chain setup from Mace (set to Stock but is adjustable) ZZP Tensioner and Mace lifters. Pushrods and Springs are New old stock, I'm not going for Records quick and reliable street car will do that can handle a a bit of time at drag strip occasionally i don't even do Burnouts (lame i know) unless im at the track.

I just want to be able to hang with the V8s and it was doing that on 7psi.

I Scored the Block already machined with new pistons 30 over for 1500 bucks and did ARP in Bottom end ARP head studs MLS Head gaskets i ported the Heads myself More of a port tidy up blended the Valve stem protrusion a bit and reduced its height, spent more time on exhaust then inlet side.

Its basic but solid and not too expensive.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Muncies vy Turbo v6

Post by immortality »

Believe it or not but the ecotec and L67 use the same cam, the only difference that I know off is the L67 used a different timing set that advanced the cam timing 6°. The earlier intake valve closure helps compensate with the lower CR when off boost and then the different converter to make it behave like ecotec when off boost.
User avatar
Rhysk94
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:25 am
cars: VE SS-V
VY V6 Turbo “Ecojet”
FG XR6 Turbo
VY V6 Stocker Farm Hack
VY V6 Turbo Competition Drift Car
VY V6 L67 Seat Time Drift Car
N80 Toyota Hilux
VZ SS
Location: Perth

Re: Muncies vy Turbo v6

Post by Rhysk94 »

immortality wrote: Mon Jan 12, 2026 1:31 am Believe it or not but the ecotec and L67 use the same cam, the only difference that I know off is the L67 used a different timing set that advanced the cam timing 6°. The earlier intake valve closure helps compensate with the lower CR when off boost and then the different converter to make it behave like ecotec when off boost.
Advanced 2 degrees. Same converter just flashes higher due to more torque
User avatar
Muncie
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:15 am
cars: Vy commodore, Turbo Ecotec v6
Location: New Zealand Waikato

Re: Muncies vy Turbo v6

Post by Muncie »

Rhysk94 wrote: Mon Jan 12, 2026 12:15 am How much boost, what timing ?
I was running 6 psi to start with on untouched timing i pulled 6 degrees out turned it up to 10psi and it lasted a while. I just subtracted a lump from everything over 2500rpm watching the timing on dash till it just commanded around the figure I was after.

As I say learning....... and over eager to drive it.

Ive got help over here (nz) now to get it dialed in and access to a dyno so once im happy to put turbo back on ill get it done with a bit of help from people that know what they're doing.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Muncies vy Turbo v6

Post by immortality »

Muncie wrote: Mon Jan 12, 2026 6:30 am
Rhysk94 wrote: Mon Jan 12, 2026 12:15 am How much boost, what timing ?
I was running 6 psi to start with on untouched timing i pulled 6 degrees out turned it up to 10psi and it lasted a while. I just subtracted a lump from everything over 2500rpm watching the timing on dash till it just commanded around the figure I was after.

As I say learning....... and over eager to drive it.

Ive got help over here (nz) now to get it dialed in and access to a dyno so once im happy to put turbo back on ill get it done with a bit of help from people that know what they're doing.
Where are you going to get it tuned?
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Muncies vy Turbo v6

Post by immortality »

Rhysk94 wrote: Mon Jan 12, 2026 3:06 am
immortality wrote: Mon Jan 12, 2026 1:31 am Believe it or not but the ecotec and L67 use the same cam, the only difference that I know off is the L67 used a different timing set that advanced the cam timing 6°. The earlier intake valve closure helps compensate with the lower CR when off boost and then the different converter to make it behave like ecotec when off boost.
Advanced 2 degrees. Same converter just flashes higher due to more torque

Doing some more research, It turns out Holden changed converter specs from VX onward. Before VX the ecotec had a tighter converter than the L67, from VX onward they have the same converter but it's the ecotec that then has the same looser converter as the L67.
User avatar
Muncie
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:15 am
cars: Vy commodore, Turbo Ecotec v6
Location: New Zealand Waikato

Re: Muncies vy Turbo v6

Post by Muncie »

I've got a 2500 rpm high stall so it gets going ok
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Muncies vy Turbo v6

Post by immortality »

Well that solves that problem.

Just add some timing down low to help it get to the stall point.
User avatar
Rhysk94
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:25 am
cars: VE SS-V
VY V6 Turbo “Ecojet”
FG XR6 Turbo
VY V6 Stocker Farm Hack
VY V6 Turbo Competition Drift Car
VY V6 L67 Seat Time Drift Car
N80 Toyota Hilux
VZ SS
Location: Perth

Re: Muncies vy Turbo v6

Post by Rhysk94 »

Muncie wrote: Mon Jan 12, 2026 6:30 am
Rhysk94 wrote: Mon Jan 12, 2026 12:15 am How much boost, what timing ?
I was running 6 psi to start with on untouched timing i pulled 6 degrees out turned it up to 10psi and it lasted a while. I just subtracted a lump from everything over 2500rpm watching the timing on dash till it just commanded around the figure I was after.

As I say learning....... and over eager to drive it.

Ive got help over here (nz) now to get it dialed in and access to a dyno so once im happy to put turbo back on ill get it done with a bit of help from people that know what they're doing.
Off an L36 or L67 base file?