Muncies vy Turbo v6

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
User avatar
Muncie
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:15 am
cars: Vy commodore, Turbo Ecotec v6
Location: New Zealand Waikato

Muncies vy Turbo v6

Post by Muncie »

IMG_20240526_152655_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
IMG_20240519_101954_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
This thing has been my project for about 2 years daily driver and family cruiser for about 5 years.

Current setup is a Pulsar GTX3584RS Pulsar 60mm gate on my own manifolds with a low mount crossover pipe to try keep engine bay temps under control, 3.5" exhaust whole way to back. Currently running on the1's enhanced tweaked for 850cc injectors it runs great and seems happy on boost im fairly nice to it at moment.

It's still the original 450,000ks engine it breathes a little but not terribly so has a catch can to deal with that. I have a l67 long block to go in once this expires im learning at moment no one else has put there hands on it. Be cool if I can keep it that way, have done several Hpacadamy courses and have a line on a dyno I can hire time on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VX L67 Getrag
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria

Re: Muncies vy Turbo v6

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

So you're running the flash style pcm, I'm assuming so.. it can be time consuming flashing changes testing & flashing etc... nice work!
User avatar
Muncie
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:15 am
cars: Vy commodore, Turbo Ecotec v6
Location: New Zealand Waikato

Re: Muncies vy Turbo v6

Post by Muncie »

VX L67 Getrag wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:11 am So you're running the flash style pcm, I'm assuming so.. it can be time consuming flashing changes testing & flashing etc... nice work!
I've just picked up a VT PCM to fit an NVRAM to which I'll swap in once the l67 engine goes in. It's taken some tweaks and patience but I'm really happy with how it is now. Yes flash ecu life for now.
User avatar
Muncie
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:15 am
cars: Vy commodore, Turbo Ecotec v6
Location: New Zealand Waikato

Re: Muncies vy Turbo v6

Post by Muncie »

Been chipping away at this, still on 6psi trans was starting to protest just a little bit so I have fitted a Corvette servo to the trans seems to have settled everything down doesn't slip anymore.

Does anyone have any hot tips on setting the trans up to get most from it inside Tunerpro I've made a few minor tweaks that have helped it not grenade itself from the FAQ section on here, be good to get most from new servo set up too.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8548
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Muncies vy Turbo v6

Post by vlad01 »

That's a neat setup there. Can't help with the auto side of stuff, others might know something on that side but generally the focus in my option is on the mechanicals of the auto rather than the tune, shift kits override much of what the tune can help with and then some by a long way.
User avatar
Muncie
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:15 am
cars: Vy commodore, Turbo Ecotec v6
Location: New Zealand Waikato

Re: Muncies vy Turbo v6

Post by Muncie »

Took this thing Racing a few weeks back on 5-6 psi in full street trim (boot load of shit and lunch on passengers seat) it went 14.6 at 98mph, I ramped the boost up to 9psi and bolted on some smaller 235 35 19 Hoosier Track slicks and went straight to 14.15 @ 101.5mph with shed loads of wheel spin. This poor engine has about 4mm of crank end float over 500,000 ks on it and has survived about 50 passes down track now. i beat beat down on it mercilessly all day and towed my trailer home with it with no issues other than an exhaust leak.

https://imgur.com/a/hJLBMIc
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8548
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Muncies vy Turbo v6

Post by vlad01 »

That's a ridiculous amount of end float! is your auto built?

Sounds like a lot of fun :thumbup: :driving:
User avatar
Muncie
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:15 am
cars: Vy commodore, Turbo Ecotec v6
Location: New Zealand Waikato

Re: Muncies vy Turbo v6

Post by Muncie »

@vlad01 no trans is stock does have a Corvette servo in it nothing else though it holds the power well doesn't flare at all isn't super harsh on shifts.

Poor old engine needs to be retired but just won't die.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8548
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Muncies vy Turbo v6

Post by vlad01 »

I heard the increased pressure most built autos have a large thrust from the convertor pushing on the crank at all times. Apparently I read this when I searched why so many built LS run a needle thrust for the crank, I always assumed it was an oiling issue, but apparently it's the autos.

Left unaddressed they say it chews out the thrusts on the main bearing and you end up with massive float and then damage/destruction of the engine. But beyond LS, I haven't seen or heard of this on other engines.

I wonder how yours ended up with so much. I have pulled apart a few high K Buicks before and they all had mint mains and decent big ends, eco was a mixed bag with various failures with all the engines I pulled apart. VS was minced up metal for all bearings, mains, ends, every single bearing was pounded to bits or metal filings haha.

The other one I recall from a VY was just broken valve train stuff, but the bottom end was like new still and it had some 350k.
User avatar
Rhysk94
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:25 am
cars: VE SS-V
VY V6 Turbo “Ecojet”
FG XR6 Turbo
VY V6 Stocker Farm Hack
VY V6 Turbo Competition Drift Car
VY V6 L67 Seat Time Drift Car
N80 Toyota Hilux
VZ SS
Location: Perth

Re: Muncies vy Turbo v6

Post by Rhysk94 »

Time to turn it up to 15-20ish and let it eat into the 11's 👌