CF Bedford Van

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
vs ss
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 am
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1
Location: perth wa

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by vs ss »

V6=m78 b/w 28 spline centre.
V8=m86 Dana 30 spline centre.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Holden202T »

ok right, I've never found that differentiation on the net so thanks!

im interested to know now it sounds like most of the people that have had the noisy diffs have been the M86 .... hopefully that is the case :)

it also means I should be able to remove that CV shaft flange and put a normal M78 flange on it!
brindo
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:43 pm
Location: Western Queensland

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by brindo »

If they are an M78 inside, that opens up a range of cheaper centres like the Tru Trac.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by immortality »

That is good news indeed.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Holden202T »

mind you it looks like Truetracs for M78's are dearer than for M86's :P
WraithGTO
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:45 am
cars: HSV GTO
VS Series 3 V8 Manual UTE
Jeep CJ10 AMC 360 V8 Manual
Suzuki 1100 Katana
Location: Harvey ,Western Australia

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by WraithGTO »

It has been a excellent Build thread to read.
It good to know , with some slight mods . The commodore parts are fitting.
The M86 is a multi plate diff.
If you need any info , for the crewman diff. I have most of the info for them .
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Holden202T »

Thanks mate, and yeah I like that most things fit pretty easily with minor mods!

I've seen an exploded diagram of a M86 and wondered about that!

any info you have on the M78 crewman diff I'd welcome :)
VK_3800
Posts: 578
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 am
cars: SS Torana
Location: NZ

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by VK_3800 »

M78s use the exact same centres as M75s, so no cheaper options there sorry. The crownwheel is slightly larger outside diameter only, inside and bolt pattern is the same.

M86 is listed for V8 VY/VZ one tonner and live axle crewcab as far as I can make out, the AWDs had M70 front and M78 rear.
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Dylan »

WraithGTO wrote:It has been a excellent Build thread to read.
It good to know , with some slight mods . The commodore parts are fitting.
The M86 is a multi plate diff.
If you need any info , for the crewman diff. I have most of the info for them .
Any chance we could get a look at that info? I have a M86 in mind for a future project.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Holden202T »

Ok so diff updates :)

I got the axles out and measured them up and confirm as per above they are 95mm difference in length.
WP_20151013_21_21_41_Pro.jpg
so the bearing part of the axle is about 5mm larger than the VN-VS axles, and interesting to see they have the ABS sensors on the axles outside of the diff housing now, these could surely be used as a speedo sensor if needed I reckon!
Also the flange has changed to an almost square pattern.
WP_20151013_21_22_18_Pro.jpg
so I butchered the stock Bedford diff and cut off the spring mount and the shock mount.
WP_20151018_002.jpg
exhibit A :)
WP_20151018_001.jpg
so in the below picture I have located the diff where it will sit on the driver side, and the passenger side is 95mm short of the leaf spring, to give me an idea of how its all going to sit.
WP_20151018_17_38_31_Pro.jpg
wheel kinda looks too small, also I think some lowering would help things!
WP_20151018_17_38_08_Pro.jpg
and I reckon the offset is spot on :) and its pretty much the same space from the guard as the front wheels so it will look right!
WP_20151018_17_39_26_Pro.jpg
so now I just need to get myself another diff, I have found one local that is V6 Crewman 3.08 LSD so hopefully find out Monday if I can get it or not and then i'll be on the home stretch with this conversion!

I'm debating too, weather I shorten the driver side 10mm or so, I can cut that much off the spline of the axle and have it still go in without bottoming out, so might do that but will lengthen the passenger side first and see where it all sits then decide on that part of it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.