What to monitor/ adjust in RT?

Tuning The Delco In Realtime
delcowizzid

Re: What to monitor/ adjust in RT?

Post by delcowizzid »

the wire on the back of the ecu may be only stuck to the conformal coating on the ecu not actually solid on the solder pads and making partial contact or you have an earthing issues hence all the tps and mat sensor errors at the same time as corrution occurs
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
krusty
cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid

Post by krusty »

delcowizzid wrote:if you fit a memcal with a known good tune and it wont run you have some big issues somewhere.check engine light and fan constantly on would suggest corrupted NVram weather it be a power surge or badly installed write line wire under the ecu board is another story .

Delco's the winner lol!

Pulled the bin on the DS1245Y and it was bananas. Loaded the base BLCF stacked bin in and she fired up no worries.

Before I did this I opened up the tuning pcm and checked my soldering and found them all good and well.

The TPS issue remains unsolved as yet but the car is performing well nonetheless and we have IAC again along with reasonable MAP sensor readings. The throttle blade minimum opening stop had been adjusted so the IAC was at 196steps at idle and revving at 2000rpm. Adjusted the stop back to drop idle and IAC down to around 0% TPS and 46 IAC steps. Inj rate is at 0.065 or so and I used Jaymes 276 tune as a base. Has real high spark through the middle so pulled some out and cruised it on the street. Got AFRs not so bad and did a couple of WOT runs until I noticed the TPS scaling from 0 - ##v while the TPS % was going up to 30% or so and wavering......all this while the accelerator was flat on the floor. Dangerous but fuel is close and it was only 2 runs so hopefully she's reasonably happy.

Attached the bin post adjustment and a WOT log where the displayed TPS % and Voltage were inc insistant. Thanks for the help getting me over this bump in the road blokes!
Attachments
wot3sparkreduce.xdl
(17.21 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
OSE $12P V111 BLCF V8 Modded VE 276TPS.bin
(32 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

yeah my bin is actually for a 286 not a 276 and the car it came off has stock compression so loves heaps of timing. will be a little different on 276
krusty

Post by krusty »

The bloody thing has stopped again. The owner was driving and the car just died off and rolled to a stop.

Has a CEL and a/c fan again but the funny thing is that the car actually starts and idles crappily. Without having seen the car since this happened, I'm tipping corrupted DS1245Y again because all I did to fix it last time was write a fresh bin to it.

What could cause the corruption to occur so easily like this? Bad battery in the DS1245Y or more likely a spike in the car electrical system.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Certainly not normal to corrupt this often, try removing the r/w jumper for awhile. Wont be able to make any changes but will prove if the DS1245Y can hold its memory - they are new 2011 stock and normally very reliable. Can swap over the NVRAM for you if you want to try that.

I have started to see a few ECUs that have really noisy power supplies cause issues so maybe yours is on its way out.
krusty

Post by krusty »

VL400 wrote:Certainly not normal to corrupt this often, try removing the r/w jumper for awhile. Wont be able to make any changes but will prove if the DS1245Y can hold its memory - they are new 2011 stock and normally very reliable. Can swap over the NVRAM for you if you want to try that.

I have started to see a few ECUs that have really noisy power supplies cause issues so maybe yours is on its way out.
O.k. I'll remove the r/w jumper n see how that goes. Probably doesn't help that the tuning ecu is from a series1 VN?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

the ecm shouldn't matter unless there is a hardware issue with it!
krusty

Post by krusty »

Holden202 wrote:the ecm shouldn't matter unless there is a hardware issue with it!
Well testing an ECM is a bit bets me unless someone tells me how.

Weird thing is we dud a full 2 hours of street tuning with no apparent issues other than the TPS voltage being questionable. I then saved the bin to file and uploaded to emulator prior to disconnecting from the car. He drove home and then the issue started when he was nearly home some 20mins later.

I'm hoping it's just a damaged ram and will try removing the r/w jumper to promote more stability. I'm also soldering a 512k EPROM to a standard memcal base as well to write the tune to.

You do have a point 202. Think I may just pick up another ECM too and swap everything over to that
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Testing the ECU power supply requires a CRO, if you have one or can borrow one you need to see what noise is the on the 5V power supply - there is a regulator chip with multiple outputs, the TPS/MAP reference voltage is the one used for sensor references and there is a separate one for the digital IC's (which the NVRAM uses).
krusty

Post by krusty »

Asked VL400 this today and thought the answer may be of use to noobs like myself

Me: I'm unsure of exactly what is happening at the end of a tune session regarding saving the latest RT modified bin. How do I save it to the DS1245Y and how do I save the same bin to file. Reason I ask is that I'm inconsistent with my success on this and don't fully understand how an emulator works.

Before you tell me to use OSE flash, I can't get that go link either. That's for another day though. Just want to get past this hurdle for now.

VL400: I guess the way to think of it is TunerPro and the ECU (referred to in TP as the emulator) are data buffers, that is they can both contain information but not necessarily the same data. The ECU contains the data that is running the engine - maybe think of that as the correct data seeing as thats what the engine is using. This is where you can get things confused, whats displayed in TunerPro can be different to the ECU. So, always open TunerPro (it should find the ECU and tell you at the bottom) and do a download from emulator to TP. This will mean what you see and the ECU is operating on are in now sync. Can then enable emulation and make any changes.

If you do not enable emulation only whats displayed on the screen in TP is changed. Can try that theory out with say idle speed - have the engine idling, download bin from emulator but do not enable emulation, change desired idle to say 2000RPM and you will notice the engine will not change in RPM. Turn on emulation and the engine still will not change RPM. Why, because the two buffers are now different and not in sync. If you download from emulator to TP again the idle speed will be back to where you started. With emulation turned on TP is managing any change you make on the screen and sending the update to the ECU. So try downloading from emulator, emulation on, then change desired idle to 2000RPM - it will change.

Flashtool is prob just the echo setting. Use the vehicle selection drop down box to select $12 type code, select the com port and click ignore echo. Should be good to go. Cant have TP open at the same time as it steals the com port.

HTH helps someone else as I don't recall reading that Flash tool and TP can't be open simultaneously .