VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Re: Immortalities totally random thread

Post by psyolent »

Missus is complaining.....
they come out the factory that way.

nice work immo. clean those rocker (rocket? :D) covers too :)
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Those will get done when the new rockers go on :)
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

psyolent wrote:
Missus is complaining.....
they come out the factory that way.

nice work immo. clean those rocker (rocket? :D) covers too :)
lol, don't let Mrs Psyolent see that post ;)

and clean the coils! ;)

and don't forget to re-apply sun screen! :oops:
immortality

Post by immortality »

LOL (yes)

Yes, would hate to get cross firing from the dirt (I was supposed to give it a full de-grease before starting this job but totally forgot)......

Been wearing full length overalls today so there is very little bare skin, it's also not so hot today so things are a little more in my favour.

Blower is one the back burner. Have had issues with sticking throttle. Took elbow off, the TB mounting flange isn't flat so I've been filing it. Still not there but getting close I think. Also found the elbow to blower gasket is busted in 2 places and would definitely have been a minor vacuum leak...... That might effect a few issues.

Time for some more filing and then gasket making.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

good that you are finding and fixing somethings! should help improve it!
immortality

Post by immortality »

Definitely.

Gasket made, flange flat and the blower is on the engine. Also removed the PCV valve and gave it a good clean whilst I was there :)

Just printing off the page from the manual with bolt torque sequence for the blower. Can't find my loctite so another small dab of sealant should do the trick hopefully.
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

jeezus. full length overalls. didn't know alaska was in straya?
not a fan of sealant and not loctite. kinda a stickler for that stuff. love it.

i did my auto this morning and quit at 12 - i could feel my legs burning while i was under the car. was already 30+ its 41.4 outside at the moment so my weatherstation says - fuck that - http://www.wunderground.com/personal-we ... VICTORI763

waiting for it to cool down so i can do an oil change on the unit :)
Cheers,

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Well she's running. Put it all together and no left over bits (WIN) but I'm a "always forget something"....

Start her up, starts up good (cycled key a couple of times to ensure fuel pressure is all good), sounds good, for a couple of seconds then start getting weird noises. Stop just after the water pump pulley falls off..... FORGOT to tighten the fucking WP pulley bolts FUCK :oops:

Sorted that, start it up again but without the blower belt and now i have a massive whistle? Put the blower belt back on but it's still there. Got a vac leak somewhere around the back of the blower by the sounds of things. Tried spraying some Start Ya Bastard but nothing is showing up.

I'd say it's a decent leak going by the whistle. Thinking it could be a couple of things (me thinks),

1. The gasket I made for the elbow to blower joint I didn't have a great selection of cardboard to work with.
2. Pinched O ring on one of the injectors (hoping it's this as it should be easy to fix)

I'd rather not have to lift the blower off again right now so if anybody has any other suggestions they are most welcome.

Can't quite get to the bleed nipple on the thermostat but no worries. I opened up the other 2 bleed nipples and filled the radiator with the hose slowly until water comes out of the front bleed nipple. Start her up and keep filling with heater on hot. Bleed up no issues at all, no major airlocks etc
psyolent wrote:jeezus. full length overalls. didn't know alaska was in straya?
not a fan of sealant and not loctite. kinda a stickler for that stuff. love it.

i did my auto this morning and quit at 12 - i could feel my legs burning while i was under the car. was already 30+ its 41.4 outside at the moment so my weatherstation says - fuck that - http://www.wunderground.com/personal-we ... VICTORI763

waiting for it to cool down so i can do an oil change on the unit :)
Me too, normally I use the right product for the right job. Unfortunately I can't find either bottle of threadlocker I have :(

I have a whole stack of overalls from work, a bonus from working maintenance for many years.
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

tip. get yourself a pink poxy marker and mark shit when its tightened.
normally vac leaks SYB will find quick smart. wierd. check that silly BOV/bypass boost thing on the back. did you hose the TB with SYB and see if the idle increased? otherwise just go and make sure shit is torqued down right all over the shop mate. get to GM and get another gasket too - they are cheap as.
Cheers,

immortality

Post by immortality »

I wonder if it is an issue with the boost bypass valve. I'm fairly certain that when you normally give it a rev you see the valve move. Fairly damn certain it wasn't moving at all this evening. Hmmmm

edit: the whistle also continues on a bit after the engine is switched off, a second or to at least.

I don't generally mark external bolts but I do have a paint markers for things like mains and rod bolts etc but I'm 100% sure the LIM and blower bolts are all torqued correctly. Fairly anal about stuff like that (just not Vlad anal), always go over em twice etc.

Gasket was only a temporary thing, was planning to use a genuine one next time it comes off for the next mod.